Stream Deck XL and Relay.FM

So I did this with my new Stream Deck XL:

(cameo by Mort the Beagle.)

It’s a little clearer from the config app:

As you probably guessed, each button opens a web page on Relay.fm’s website.

Clearly, Relay cannot add any more shows!

(Also, in my order “The Pen Addict” comes after “Parallel” and before “Playing For Fun” … unlike on Relay’s “Shows” page, where it shows up after “Rocket” and before “Thoroughly Considered”.)

I have another button on my main profile which will launch the livestream in VLC and record it in Audio Hijack but this was fun to put together.

If you’re silly enough to want this too, you can download my Relay.fm.streamDeckProfile.

7 Likes

Kinda disappointed you didn’t use KM9 and open the relevant Relay.fm page base on the time of the day, so all you REALLY need is just one button :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been hovering over the Stream Deck buy button for a few days. I think I need one of these in my life for Keyboard Maestro. I have a terrible habit of making macros and then not using them because I can’t remember the trigger.

2 Likes

That “I can’t remember the trigger” was partly why I got one. And it works.

I really should update this:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/MartinPacker/entry/Buttoned_Up?lang=en

1 Like

Now THAT is cool!
Well Done

Updated for 2020

Here is the new layout:

Again, slightly easier to see from the Stream Deck app than an actual photo:

Show Changes

I’ve added the three new shows which have started since I last did this:

Sadly, I removed my beloved Playing for Fun as it is now “retired”. :cry:

I also added Departures despite it not really being a show like the others. If Relay.fm adds a podcast without “retiring” one, Departures will be the first to go (which seems appropriate). Next would be B-Sides if they add two.

Important: I put “The Pen Addict” between “Parallel” and “Pictorial” rather than being listed under “T” because I’m not a monster.

Top-Left button

You’ll notice that the top-left corner is a “generic” Relay.FM logo. That’s actually a folder so if you press it, you will see 5 buttons, each of which should be fairly self-explanatory:

2020-03-29-11.13.20-Relay-FM-Stream-Deck-Folder

When you open a folder on the Stream Deck, the “Back” arrow is the top-left button, which is why I decided to place the folder there on the primary screen. I liked the idea of having the “Parent” folder item and the “Back” at the same location.

Botton-Right button

Also, you’ll notice that the bottom-right button is not Relay.fm specific. Instead it is a Stream Deck button to “Switch Profiles.”

As much as I love my Relay.fm Stream Deck profile, it’s not my default. When I use it, I want to then be able to switch back to my default profile with the press of a button.

My default profile also has a “Switch Profile” button in the same place. At the moment I only have two profiles, but if I make additional ones, I plan to use the bottom-right button as “Switch Profiles” on all them.

Download

Click on Relay.fm-2020-03-29.streamDeckProfile.zip to download.

Once unzipped, you can import it into your Stream Deck by double-clicking on it.

Don’t like how I have it set up? Once you have it, you can make any changes you’d like.

Tip: To give yourself some room to maneuver when changing things around, put 1 or 2 icons into the top-left “Relay.FM” folder and then move them back when you’re done.

4 Likes

Holy moly :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I couldn’t imagine having the StreamDeck “Real Estate” to do it this way. I’d use one button to pop up a menu to pick from.

(My setup is a StreamDeck and a StreamDeck Mini - and I’m constantly short of spare buttons.)

But it DOES look very pretty. :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s definitely a kind of… well “luxury” is too strong of a word, but that’s the first word that came to mind, so I’ll go with it… a kind of luxury to have that many buttons. I don’t know what made me first think about the number of shows Relay had being roughly equivalent to the XL’s button count. Once my mind had made the connection, I really had to do it.

Truthfully the button that gets the most use is the one that opens the live-stream – which is inside the “folder” in this setup, but I have a button that does that on my main Stream Deck screen.

1 Like

My Stream Deck XL is going to be delivered Monday so I hoped on and searched Stream Deck to start gathering non-gaming ideas for usage. Keyboard Maestro and @MacSparky’s idea of using each row for different use cases is something I’m fond of, but I love that you can have nested folders that allow entire usage of the full 32 buttons. Is there a way to “download” this Relay FM setup or something I’ll have to setup myself? Thanks for sharing!

https://files.luo.ma/shared/streamdeck/ is where I keep them, and https://files.luo.ma/shared/streamdeck/Relay.fm%202020-04-25.streamDeckProfile.zip is currently the latest version. It includes Flashback and The Test Drivers, which I believe are the latest new shows.

The Keyboard Maestro support for Stream Deck is great, but if you just want to do “When I push a button, run this macro” be sure to checkout KMlink and download that too. The nice thing is that with KMLink you can easily move the button assignment just by dragging it on Stream Deck’s app. With the official Keyboard Maestro support you have to enter a specific button into the macro itself.

4 Likes