Streamlining RSS Triage from Reeder to ReadWise Reader

Hello fellow MacPowerUsers,

I’m hoping for some guidance on refining my current RSS workflow. Here’s the rundown:

• I get all my RSS feeds through Feedbin.
  • I use Reeder on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad for sorting these articles.
  • Previously, I’d read and manage “Read Later” articles in Reeder, but now I’ve shifted to ReadWise Reader.

Here’s the hiccup: I have to manually share each article to ReadWise Reader from Reeder. While it’s not a huge hassle, it’s still an extra step I’d like to streamline.

I’m aware ReadWise Reader offers RSS, but I find it a tad slow. Hence, I’m sticking with Reeder. My two fixed points are:

1. RSS feeds must go to Feedbin. (I’ve loads of newsletters there; migration isn’t an option.)
  2. I want my reading in ReadWise Reader.

Everything in between these two points is up for optimization.

Does anyone have suggestions to make this process smoother? All ideas welcome. Thank you!

I’m a bit confused as to your question, but I think there are unofficial Feedbin > Reader integrations, I’ve seen them mentioned before.

Having said that, I deliberately keep my RSS feeds separate from Reader. Like you, I use Reeder for this. I use Reeder to skim through all my RSS feeds. Then I use the sharesheet to send an article I want to read properly to Reader. It’s only 2 clicks. Since most stuff doesn’t need promoting to Reader, just skimming or ignoring, that works for me.

1 Like

I know it’s very long:

1. Long press on the article
  2. Share
  3. Browse share sheet for Reader extension
  4. Click to select Reader
    (Adding tags / moving to later categories if applicable )
  5. Click again to close Reader

It just feels slow as a workflow .
Ideally I would to have an alternative to Reeder that would let me customize the swipe or add a button that would let me call the reader API in the background so that I turn that into 1 step instead of 5.
I could settle for a swipe or a button that would could the share sheet extension.

I am not doing that hundreds times a day but at least couple dozen and it just feels slow as a workflow.

I open the article before sharing (otherwise I don’t know if it’s worth sharing to Reader), but the long press of the title doesn’t seem that much more friction to me. I think you need to tweak your sharesheet menu though. Reader is the first app listed in my sharesheet (this is deliberate as it’s the app I use the most in the sharesheet). I open articles before sharing, so my action looks like this:

I suppose you do have to tap out the Reader menu after (you can tap anywhere on screen for this).

I am rubbish at tagging as I save, but I have a default view when I open Reader of all my untagged/unsorted content and I occasionally make an effort to sort it.

Actually the new fast mode for long press in ios17 improves things a lot !

1 Like

Wow, glad you mentioned this! Feels about as fast as 3D touch used to be for me.

You’re not alone:

1 Like

Without understanding what I am doing I have enabled the fast touch and will see if I like it!

Still, I’d love a rss client with customizable 1-tap share buttons or swipes if some rss app maker needs a new feature idea

Reeder has had that for years. You can turn on or off buttons for

• copy link
  • add to read later
  • add to reading list
  • mail
  • notes
  • reminders
  • goodlinks
  • craft
  • open in news
  • diarly
  • open in safari

It tends to pass only the link from the RSS feed, but many of these apps (e.g. Goodlink) will (optionally) download the whole article if they receive it.

I would love it if I could add some custom destinations in addition to this list : shortcuts or reader would be perfect …

1 Like

I can only agree with you. I was searching for a quick workflow to streamline this as well as I find the Readwise Reader RSS way too chaotic.

Thanks to a thread on Artifact about Reeder , I rediscovered Unread . It has a preset integration for Readwise reader and you can send an article there from the list or article view in a quick double tap.
That does it for me and I think I will be switching over to Unread from Reeder.

1 Like

Happy to report that Lire also has a preset swipe to Readwise reader from the article view !
Overall I am happy to see that other rss app developers have kept up with the additions of new features as opposed to Reeder

1 Like