Stuck home button on iPad Pro. What would you do?

The home button on my 10.5" iPad Pro is stuck in the depressed position. I’ve tried all the online suggestions of wiping and pressing with rubbing alcohol, trying to clean the ring of the button with a toothpick, etc.

Turns out Apple doesn’t fix the iPads, they only replace them. Not worth the $$$.

I’ve tried Authorized Resellers, which told me the same thing. It’s been suggested that I check out an iPhone screen repair shop, that might do the work in a very “unauthorized” way.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I’m actually okay for now using screen gestures only, so I don’t want to have my iPad bricked by a person that doesn’t know what they are doing. But I suspect my solution is not a sustainable workaround, so I’m eventually going to have to do something!

Really depends on how much the repair/exchange costs. If it’s 3.5 years old, probably not worth it. Get a new one and find a use for the old one. If it’s less than 2 years old, might be worth it. I generally plan on using an iPad for 4-5 years. When it get closer to replacement time, not worth fixing.

Took my iPhone to an “unauthorized” repair shop at a mall to replace the home button, it was a 30min work.
Still working great, that was about 2 years ago.

it’s $400 to replace. I could probably get a better deal buying third party. But I’ll wait to the reviews on the new Air come out and see if I should bite the bullet and upgrade.

oh, thank you for saying that. That give me hope. BTW, do you happen to remember about how much they charged you?

it’s $400 to replace

:money_with_wings:
damn!

BTW, do you happen to remember about how much they charged you?

can’t remember tbh, but it was very reasonable. Maybe less that $100??
btw it’s the button with Touch ID the one that I replaced.

Use the Assistive Touch “home button”.

1 Like

Off the wall, but would one of the vacuum suction holders that glaziers use to move sheets of glass ‘pull’ it out?

Anywhere that sells glass probably has one and might be willing to give it a try (or a plausible excuse to buy a new tool?)

Edit: typo