Suggestion for Webcam to mount on LG monitor while using M1 MBP

I pulled the trigger on the Brio webcam. Thanks again for the advice and input!

1 Like

Personally I’m about to return the Brio again. Sure I liked the wide angle view and it was brighter, but for the heck of it I couldn’t get the image to look natural/good for my video calls in either Zoom or Teams … for a 4K Webcam it always looked extremely washed out and honestly the webcam of my new Intel Macbook Pro (for work) looked more pleasing to me … probably because of all the Computational madness Apple performs on his own cam?
Hope your Brio cam works better for you :blush:

That’s unfortunate to hear but the truth is I’m not all that concerned how I look in the video. The truth is that a slightly less than a sharp image might actually make me look better. :slight_smile: My main issue is having a decent WebCam on top of my monitor so I can use that instead of the 13 inch screen on my MacBook Pro to enable me to more clearly see shared spreadsheets and things of that nature.

Slightly same situation maybe :blush: as I also prefer to use my 24“ Monitor over the 13“ from the MacBook Pro. What I have learned from my company - if we do screen sharing we never use Video at the same time, so it’s fine to not look at my Macbook Pro cam. When we are actually using video I’m fine with looking at the smaller screen.

I had spent way too much time looking for a webcam in the last weeks it seems :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A developer named Mactaris has an $8 app on the Mac App Store called ‎Webcam Settings which gives access to basic features of a lot of webcams.

I bought it after reading about it somewhere and have found it useful for controlling pan/zoom/crop features. You can get settings the way you want them and save them to the camera and also save them in the app itself.

IIRC, the developer (see first link) has a list of cameras that it works for, but it’s not exhaustive, so just because your camera isn’t on there doesn’t mean it won’t work, especially if other cameras from same company are on there.

App is simple menu-bar app, but loads better than installing any of the bloatware from Logitech or other companies which, I assume, offer equally poor software. It’s an Intel app but works fine on the M1.

6 Likes

Now that is not helpful because you are taking away my excuse to expense a webcam. :grin: But, I’m good because it is already ordered and receipt submitted. :grinning:

Not something a lot of people use, but if you have an old DSLR, you can use it with Elgato Cam Link. This is the best quality you can get.

I have an excellent DSLT but it is too big to fool with in the office, and I might add, expensive to have sitting around. :slight_smile:

I came to the same frustrating conclusion that I can’t use my MBP for Zoom calls either. Nice to know I’m not alone! I just bought the Logitech C920x but haven’t connected it yet

Great minds … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think you’ll like the Brio quite a bit. I’m using the 922 (doing 65 degree FOV, 60fps 720p.) It’s not quite as much control as I’d like over high contrast lighting, with or without the use of Logitech’s software, so I ended up softening the overhead light with translucent material over the inset and balancing with two lamps reflecting off the walls to the side of the screen. As Sir Roger Deakins says, it’s way less work to just fix the shot than to go to a lot of trouble in editing. :wink:

… but not so great eyes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Indeed!!! :slight_smile:

My next recommendation is the Logitech Brio then.

1 Like

I recently moved from the Logitech C920 to the new Anker webcam. I’ve been very impressed with the image quality, and the mic seems to do a good job. I usually use my external mic, but occasionally Teams jumps to the Anker.

Just tried out Camo today and it worked like a charm. Thanks for bringing this to my attention :+1: Finally this “what webcam should I buy?” headache is over. :tada:

1 Like

Thanks. My one warning remains that Camo seems to draw significant power on the iPhone when in use.

JJW

I’ve always plugged my iPhone directly into my MacBook Air via Lightning to USB-C when using Camo. (I’m pretty sure the app requires the iPhone to be plugged in, doesn’t it?)

The phone does get warm when using it for an hour or more.

Tip: I also have a Personal Automation (via Shortcuts) that runs when Camo launches on the iPhone which puts the phone into DND, Airplane Mode, Turns off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. This prevents someone from calling me while I am using it as a webcam, which I assume would interrupt the connection.

The only thing this does not address is any timers or alarms from the iOS Clock app.

I have another Personal Automation that runs when Camo exits which re-enables all of those things.

2 Likes

Love this! Any chance you’d share the shortcut please?

Thanks

Unfortunately you can’t share Personal Automations the way that you share Shortcuts.

No, I don’t know why either.

But this one is pretty simple, two actions:

1.Turn DND “ON” until “Turned Off”
2. “Turn” Airplane Mode “On”

and then reverse it for the exit automation.

1 Like