Suggestions for 32" Monitor That's Like an Apple Monitor?

Hi all,

I’m considering moving to a 32" monitor from my 27" Apple Studio Display to use with my Mac Studio. The 32" Apple Pro Display XDR is way out of budget at $6,000 for a monitor and stand.

I’ve always loved Apple displays, especially those in the 27" iMacs and now the Studio Display. I love the color and crisp text. It appears that several new 4K displays have been released in the last six months by Dell, LG, Samsung, etc.

Can anyone recommend a 32" display that looks and feels like an Apple display? By “looks and feels” I don’t mean how it’s built, but whether the display functions about the same as an Apple display: colors, crispness of text, etc. The many reviews I’ve looked at don’t really consider this factor.

Thanks!

1 Like

Here are some suggestions

What is your budget? How do you feel about OLED? Prefer curved screens? Is PPI important (would restrict you to 6k+?)

I have the Dell G322Q 32" 4k monitor…connected to a PC. Very happy with it, bright, sharp, well made base that isn’t huge, it doesn’t shake when typing, all sorts of connection options, non glossy screen, high refresh rates, etc.

If 4k is ok for you, I highly recommend it. If you want 5k/6k, I think the only reasonably priced one is made by LG.

Edit to add on whether it the feels like as Apple display: The Dell I have doesn’t look or feel Apple-y. It’s black plastic, a blue light along the back (you can turn it off), and the screen isn’t glossy (which I like). It’s closer to an LG Ultrafine, but with a better build quality.

1 Like

I edited to clarify. I want the color and crispness of an Apple display, not the physical build.

Thanks, I’ve seen lots of reviews. What I’m looking for is advice from a person who has used Apple displays in comparison to a 3rd party 32" display.

Budget is under $2,000.

I don’t know all the technical details about OLED, PPI etc. I don’t want a curved screen.

I just want a 32" inch monitor that acts and looks like (color, crispness of text) like my Apple Studio Display.

For $600 I’d recommend an ASUS ProArt. This one (32" with daisy-chained USB-C.)

If you wanted to play around your budget max, for $2200 I’d recommend this ASUS ProArt that has more colors and is MiniLED.

They’re both 4k, so not going to be as pixel dense as Apple’s displays, but they’ll look great.

1 Like

Every Apple monitor I have had has been glossy, so you get that increased sharpness. It’s slightly less sharp because of the matte, but I only notice it if it right next to a glossy monitor.

So in that sense, if you like glossy, you wouldn’t want a matte monitor.

1 Like

I decided to look more into this and quickly remembered why I gave up the search last time. The few that exist are expensive (although still not at Apple’s level), and you get designs like this:

I get some people want nicer camera’s on their monitors, but…really Dell? Even if I was willing to pay that much, that upper bezzle with the gigantic camera, not a chance.

1 Like

I have a 32” 4K primary and a 27” side monitor. I upgraded the side monitor from an Apple Thunderbolt Display to a 4K Philips model last week. The crispness is noticeably better than the 32” 4K. A 27” 5K, or a 32” 6k is another step up even from my new one. I don’t think you’ll be happy with anything 4K, as the crispness will by definition go down from your Studio Display, and I’d suggest going backwards is tough.

It’s one reason I refuse to buy a studio display - I don’t want to need a second one!

2 Likes

Yes, good point. It’s hard too go elsewhere once you’ve been spoiled by Apple hardware.

Thanks for the insight. No, I don’t want less crispness or clarity than I have now with my Studio Display.

I think it really depends on how picky you are. I switch from a 32" 4k to an Apple Studio Display (next to an LG UltraFine), to lower resolution monitors daily. The only time I really notice it is going back to older/cheap standard definition monitors (my work stuff). I don’t even think twice about quality going form the 4k to the 5k. The UltraFine sitting next to the Studio Display bugs me more. Not the picture quality, they are identical, but the build quality. The UltraFine is ugly and the stand is not great. I want to replace it with another Studio Display, but I can’t rationalize it.

I used to be firmly in the “4k isn’t good enough” for a Mac. It is still preferable, but I am getting to the the point where I want a bigger monitor more, and there isn’t anything affordable. That said, if I was going dual monitor, they both need to be the same resolution for me.

I would say go to Best Buy and see if you can find a 32" 4k monitor, just to see it, but I doubt they keep them in stock or have display models.

If you don’t want to compromise on resolution relative to screen size (this is what’s meant by PPI) then you don’t want to buy those ProArts I linked yesterday. The Dell 6k @RunningBoris mentioned might be your only viable option at 32”. It’s discounted to $2100 at B&H, so close to your budget max.

It’s a frustrating monitor market in this area. There should be more competition.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1768651-REG/dell_u3224kb_32_6k_60hz_hdr600.html?ap=y&smp=y&msclkid=b5755cd7b4411fa41ad8391f55f34329

1 Like

I couldn’t tell any difference when I went from a 4K iMac to a 5K iMac.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Dell display is kinda ugly with the big bump on the top and the forehead (but then again, iMacs had a big chin).

You’re right. I wish there were more choices. Or, I wish Apple made a consumer-level 32" monitor that was not ridiculously expensive.

1 Like

Still ridiculously pricey but you could sell the Studio Display to offset 1/3 (?) or just less of the cost. That would give you $4k total budget. Still doesn’t cover it though. FWIW.

The Clarity displays are the most Apple Studio Display like that I’ve seen. They just released a 32" display, and the webcam automatically pops up when you need it and hides when you don’t.

1 Like

Even with a 10% military discount and plain glass finish, the total for an XDR and stand is still $5,732 with tax. From looking at cashforyourmac.com (usually the highest prices) and ebay, I’d guess I’d be lucky to sell my studio display for $700-$1,000. That still leaves at most about $5,000 to pay.