Summer of (maybe) Leaving Text Expander

It does not work on iPadOS at all in my experience. It is as good as not having it, actually.
I can’t get any snippet to work that is newer than a year, so much to the great syncing engine…

1 Like

Didn’t read all the replies earlier but TextExpander can be purchased as a standalone non-subscription.

Yes, TE v5 still is available for purchase/download. But is it still in active development? I doubt it. Even v7 is struggling at times - and that is being in active development. I cannot imagine that v5 is doing better these days. I might be wrong, though! :slight_smile:

That is weird, have you contacted Smile to troubleshoot the issue? I never had any issues syncing with Smile’s servers.

1 Like

Not sure. I use it daily (only on Mac).

1 Like

I give you that I havn’t done so. I should check that out with them for fairness sake.

I worked around this one edge case of mine with a Keyboard Maestro macro (a pretty complex one cobbled together from one on the KM forums).

Now, though, I see that the Typinator license is for only two Macs, which is kind of a bummer.

1 Like

I was talking about mentioning alternatives. Not mere usage.

Thanks for the link for aText. I’ll check it out on Windows, as it looks good. I can run Windows Store apps on my work laptop and that would allow me to run that (my current alternative is to create my Autohotkey script on my home Windows machine and then compile it to a .exe to run on the work machine)

1 Like

While I’m not thrilled with the subscription model, what I love about TE is its cross-platform utility. My office is Windows-based, my laptop is a MacBook Air, I use an iPhone and frequently process large amounts of email on my iPad. The nominal monthly charge saves me tons of time and, although it doesn’t always work perfectly, I bill clients on an hourly basis and the time I save pays for itself. While I use AutoHotKey on my Windows machines, it’s nice having one cross-platform expansion utility.

aText is available for Windows too… and at $4.99 is great value, I’ve been using it for 7 years!
I don’t use Windows, but aText is kept in sync across my Macs via Dropbox, so guess it probably would also sync across to Windows.

Closing the loop on this for anyone who might stumble upon this, I now realize you can create a list in Typinator where you can select multiple items via a checkbox next to each item, but you can’t do it in one Input Field. You have to create a separate Input Field for each item in the list, using the “Option” selection for each one. When you trigger your snippet, it will show each item with a checkbox next to it.

3 Likes

Yet another +1 for Typinator.

1 Like

I emailed Typinator support yesterday about an issue with the optional “Quick Expansion” feature when using Microsoft Edge. They replied today with a new beta that addressed that issue, among several other things.

1 Like

TextExpander is slowing down to a maddening degree for me on Big Sur. It’s been happening for some time, and may well have predated Big Sur, but I’m reaching my breaking point. And it’s very possible that it’s a software conflict of one sort or another, but…tracking that down is just more work in addition to the slowdowns and attendant frustration. May be time to release my sunk cost on it.

1 Like

Are you sure aText still works? According to the App Store, it hasn’t been updated 6 years and even the developer says it doesn’t work on Big Sur - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/atext/id488566438?mt=12

I’m not sure about “all” , it can prompt for user input and do dynamic dates, which is all I use. What kind of math?

I haven’t found a cross platform solution, but usually on macOS and iOS. I have Windows for gaming, and Linux for Docker, but I’m not doing productivity work on them.

For macOS and iOS snippets, I use the built in text shortcuts that sync via iCloud. I use keyboard maestro for snippets I only use on my Mac. Using both system is not as simple as a cross-platform tool , but it works for me.

Download directly from the developer website still works.

Please, don’t spread false information!

From the developer’s site:

Version 2.37.1 for Mac OS 10.6 - 10.15 Catalina - 11.2 Big Sur
Released 21/3/2021

And I can assure that it gets regular updates (i.e. this wasn’t the first one in a long time).

P.S. I’m an aText user myself, and in no way connected to the developer other than that I’ve paid for the app.

It mainly gets maintenance fixes. No notable features (beyond a bland repaint of the UI) were released in a very long while.