Summer of (maybe) Leaving Text Expander

Mainly. @majorgear wrote that it hadn’t been updated in 6 years. Which is not true.

There’s not much I expect to be updated. The app does what it should do, without issues, and supports all recent versions of macOS.

1 Like

I could be reading this wrong, but I think maybe you and @anon85228692 are talking about two different things? I think you were talking about aText and he is referring to the lack of new features in TextExpander?

P.S. Another update on Typinator — perhaps it is the newness of it for me, but I am in love with this app after trying it out for the first time last week. So fast, and so much fun to play around with.

by selectively quoting the comment, you made it untrue. @majorgear clearly stated “According to the AppStore”.… which you left out in your quote of their post. It has not been updated in 6 years there so the statement is true. Unfortunately, the problem with the AppStore is a lot of people are looking at it as the only place to get software, which is probably Apple’s devious plan, but that’s a different conversation.

1 Like

Yes, @majorgear did say “according to the App Store” but unless you knew that the app is also available from the developer’s website, you would not necessarily think that there is another version available directly from the developer. In fact, I’m guessing @majorgear might not have know that!

Yes, @vco1 did only quote part of the message, but they also made the distinction clear (to me, at least) by pointing to the fact that they were quoting from the developer’s website.

Assuming that someone had read through this thread, or clicked on the link back to @majorgear’s post from @vco1’s post, they would see the original and reply together.

I think perhaps some of this could have been avoid if

…had been worded a bit more gently… perhaps something like “Yes, it’s true the App Store says that, but if you check the developer’s website…”

As I mentioned above, I assume it’s quite likely that @majorgear did not know that, so while they were technically spreading false information, they were not knowingly spreading false information, and that’s a big difference, in my book.

This does show us where the real problem comes from:

The version of aText in the App Store is so old, I have no idea why the developer has left it there, but I imagine it is to make sure that people can still re-download it if they want. Perhaps the developer does not understand the confusion this can cause.

And, of course, underneath all of this is that Apple changed the rules of the Mac App Store so that apps like TextExpander and aText could no longer be in it, which meant that those developers had to deal with the fallout of a lot of unhappy customers and a lot of hassle because they tried to use Apple’s Mac App Store, which is, I would say, largely a complete and utter failure, but which Apple will continue to push on people because they like the control.

The Mac App Store could be great, but Apple has hamstrung it. I’d also say that it has gotten worse over time, not better. It should be an embarrassment to anyone who works for Apple.

2 Likes

I try to avoid the App Store whenever possible even if it means paying extra for multiple licenses when I could easily install the App Store version on multiple machnines for free. There is a certain level of control that begins to feel creepy and Apple is reaching that now with the Macs. I may be one of the few here that hopes busting up the walled garden comes out of the Epic trial…

1 Like

The developer wrote “not compatible with OS X right on the App Store site!

image|230x500

So, it’s only false information if the App Store os wrong. In which case, the developer should correct it.

I read that after my reply. You are on the money, I only new about the App Store source of the app. I read that and assumed the app was dead.

That lead to even more confusion as to why someone would recommend an application that obviously (based on the app store) world not work for most people.

As to why it’s still on the App Store, I can only guess. Perhaps it’s to support users on older versions of macOS/OS X/System 7 (:slight_smile: ) , or perhaps they cannot remove it. Perhaps someone with more information can chime in on that.

Please read @tjluoma’s take on this. I think they worded it quite well.

@tjluoma: using the majestic plural (pluralis majestatis) for us is really too much honor. :wink:

Just date calculations. Enter a keyboard shortcut and it enters the date for x number of days ahead or behind in a specified format.