Super-compact 6' Extension Cord ...?

Going on a flight doing “personal item only,” and I want to bring a 4-6’ extension cord for the hotel room so I don’t have to worry about whether their outlets are in convenient places. I have my chargers and charging cables, but I’ve had situations where the outlets are behind chairs, 3 feet away from the built-in desk, etc.

Are there any super-compact extension cords/power strips that could tuck easily into a “personal item” size bag? Most I’ve seen are pretty chunky, and that’s not necessary. This doesn’t need to run a fridge - just a MacBook Air, a phone, and maybe an iPad.

Something like this ?

Why not just a longer USB cable?

1 Like

My logic is that I have multiple devices that I need to charge, and carrying around 4 six-foot USB cables seems less efficient than carrying one extension cord.

Something like that could work - but I’m hoping for something somebody has actually used. I’m skeptical about random stuff from unknown companies when it comes to power.

I carry one long USB-C wire and then append to the end adapter for the iPhone.

1 Like

So I’m assuming you charge one device at a time, then? I’m hoping to be able to charge phone, laptop, iPad, and earbuds overnight.

I used to bring an extension cord, still wasn’t always easy to get to an outlet and I was often moving furniture around. Have you considered a power bank? The form factor is similar and you can charge four devices at once. I even use it to power a Roku stick.

3 Likes

Yes, of course, I typically do charge only one device at a time since there is only one wire. I prefer to travel light and if I have a longer trip and need to do simultaneous charges, then (of course) I take more wires and a transformer that has multiple outlets. The hotels I frequent seem to have nicely-placed outlets–just lucky I guess.

I also have a travel battery which on the trip I keep topped up at each opportunity.

I wish there was some magic here that would eliminate the need for transformers, wires, and device charging, but …

1 Like

Yeah. It’s just a disproportionate amount of pack space. I did see this thing highly recommended by some travel people on Reddit. May be adding it to my bag:

https://www.amazon.com/MOGICS-Donut-Travel-Power-Strip/dp/B01LMKSM92/

It’s only a 3 foot cord, but that would at least get me off the floor by the wall and onto a chair or portable table if outlets aren’t convenient at a hotel.

1 Like

I use multi USB charger devices to minimise the number of sockets I need. That used to be Anker USB A chargers with 6 sockets which gave me about 6’ of cable if I needed it.

Now I use the Minix USB C chargers which plug straight into the wall, but I have a couple of longer cables.

1 Like