Supernotes 3 – Fast, Markdown Notecards app

Hey everyone, we posted on MPU over 3 years ago, and since then, we’ve significantly improved our note-taking tool, Supernotes. We thought it would be fun to provide you with an update and gather your feedback, as it was very insightful last time!

We’re still a team of two, and we’ve developed what we hope is one of the best cross-platform note-taking apps available. This is especially useful for Mac users who prefer taking quick, short-form notes and would like the flexibility to access their information outside of the iCloud / Apple ecosystem (Web, Windows, Linux, and Android).

If you’re new to Supernotes, we have a unique approach. Instead of writing long-form files and folders, you create short-form notecards that reflect who you think (almost like a modern take on Zettelkasten). Notecards in Supernotes are nestable, taggable, linkable, and shareable with anyone! We’ve recently launched Supernotes 3, and it comes with some fantastic key features:

• Fast and optimized apps for iPhone, iPad, and macOS.
  • A seamless offline and syncing experience.
  • Real-time editing and collaboration.
  • List, Broadsheet, and Graph views (including 3D!).
  • Markdown support, with LaTeX and Mermaid diagram support.

If you’re interested in note-taking, please give Supernotes a try. We would love to hear your thoughts below, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I like the notecards approach a lot.
Reliable sync and cross-platform apps, but each native for the OS) is nice :+1:

What I‘m interested in is

• where are my notes stored?
  • are they end2end encrypted at rest?
  • are the notes stored as simple markdown files?
  • can notes be exported in markdown format?
    (read about pdf export)
1 Like

Hi @stefan, thanks for your kind words! And great questions, I’ve done my best to answer them:

• Your data is securely stored on our servers in London, United Kingdom. You can find more information in our Security Policy
  • Yes, on Supernotes your data is always encrypted in transit (forced SSL) and encrypted at rest (AES-256). Again you can find all the information in our Security Policy. If you’d like to learn more about all the different forms of encryption and what Supernotes’ supports, we’ve written an in-depth article here.
  • To achieve the seamless syncing between offline and online, your notes are stored locally in a database. This is not user accessible, but at any time you can export all your notes as simple Markdown or JSON files.
  • Yes, you can export as Markdown, JSON and print as PDF. We also have an OpenAPI so you can integrate with other apps or do whatever you like with your data.

Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Not E2EE.

Are there any ways to export?

Thanks Tobias, that helps understanding the app a bit better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks nice and it feels easy and intuitive to use. Congrats on shipping. It’s clear that a load of work has gone into this.

Thanks for your kind words @stefan and @Clarke_Ching :raised_hands:

@alvinc, yes as mentioned earlier you can export as Markdown, JSON and print as PDF. We also have an OpenAPI so you can integrate with other apps or do whatever you like with your data.