Switched from iMac to MacBook Pro

Howdy folks,

I recently switched from an iMac to a MacBook Pro and have been enjoying the flexibility it gives me since I travel a lot these days. But since I primarily work at home, I still have a dedicated office that I’ve tweaked a lot over the last few years. This is how I have it setup with the MacBook now.

Feel free to ask any questions about the setup!

-Chris

Setup photo (click to expand/collapse)

Setup details (click to expand/collapse)
  • Seville airLIFT electric adjustable desk
  • 2023 MacBook Pro M2
  • OWC Thunderbolt 4 Dock (hidden behind MBP)
  • Extended Magic Keyboard with TouchID
  • Magic Trackpad 2
  • ASUS 28” 4K monitor
  • Elgato Stream Deck XL
  • Plantronics Savi 8220 DECT headset
  • Logitech Z333 speaker system
  • Dual IKEA filing cabinets
  • Cosori coffee mug warmer
  • FitShow under the desk treadmill
6 Likes

Have you tested a configuration with the MBP and second monitor side-by-side, where both monitors have their mid-horizontal lines at about your nose position when you are sitting / standing to work?

JJW

That’s a lovely setup. I especially like the walking treadmill/standing desk. I would love this but don’t have room in my UK 7ftx7ft box room that I use as my study.

I have made a similar move from a 2017 iMac to a M1 MacBook Pro/Studio display. I am still perfecting my setup (should share a picture) but I have recently added the Caldigit TS4 dock which has allowed me to add my backup drives to mu setup with out having to olug in several cables each time.

Do you ever use a chair? Is it easy to stand without the treadmill on?

Awe man! The FitShow is awesome

@DrJJWMac I haven’t, mostly because I don’t have a pedestal for the MacBook, and I really just do everything on the big screen. I just leave things like Music, Messages and WhatsApp on the MBP screen; apps I don’t use that frequently throughout the day.

@afhussain Ah I forgot to include in my initial post about my TB4 dock! I’ve updated it accordingly. I also have an external 4TB SSD that I have partitioned for my TV media library, Time Machine backups and CCC backups.

@neonate yes, I have an adjustable high rise chair that I use when I’m not on the treadmill. I spend about 4 hours or so a day on the treadmill, and the rest of my time either just standing or in my chair. Forgot to include it in the picture though :sweat_smile:

@adamashlock it has been a game changer for me. I’ve lost a good amount of weight (although I was already thin because I run 4 to times a week), have a lot more energy and I don’t get near as stiff from running and other physical activities now.

2 Likes

How are the speakers? You may be surprised with how good the MMP’s can be.

The Logitechs are good. Not amazing, but decent range and bass. The MBP speakers are surprisingly good considering their size, and I’m quite happy using them when I’m not in my office. But I’ve always liked having a little more bass when possible.

1 Like