Switching from a PC to Mac Mini and checking the knowledge base

Looking for the group knowledge on switching from a PC to a Mac Mini for my consulting practice.

I am 2/3rds of the way into the Apple Universe. I have been an IPhone user since the 3g. I am on my 3rd IPad, and have a MacBook Retina Pro 2013 updated with a TB SSD. My main machine; however, has always been a PC starting from the days of the 8087 and being upgraded over the years into its current configuration (I-7, 32 gb ram, 1 TB SSD).

The main machine is experiencing stability issues, powering off at random. Since I am dependent on a computer for my environmental consulting practice, I think it is time to do a replacement - I can’t afford to have a major crash and lose the drive/access to the data.

I think it to finish the jump into the AppleVerse and go with a new MacMini. I see the advantage of having a one source system with component/driver compatibility and stability. I am looking at a similar configuration I-7, 32 gig ram, 2 TB SSD, with the gigabyte Ethernet (to take full advantage of the broadband).

I have the Motorola Surfboard 3.0 modem/wireless router, an Orbi Mesh - System, two x 26” Samsung HD LED monitors, color laser printer, scan snap scanner, and a 2 bay 2 x 4 TB synology backup system. Other odds & ends include the web camera, the mechanical keyboard, mouse, speakers w subwoofer.

I am looking at the ports and cabling options - I am thinking:

TB Port #1 - Monitor 1
TB Port #2 - Monitor 2 - or should I get a splitter
TB Port #3 - Printer
TB Port# 4 - Synology
USB 1 - ScanSnap
USB 2 - USB Hub for accessories - keyboard, mouse, camera.

Ethernet
Modem to Mac Mini
Modem to Orbi
Modem to Ethernet/Lighting Cable Dongle - maximizing downloads to the Idevices
Modem to Sonos
Orbi to Printer
Orbi to scanner if possible,

Any thoughts on Amazon Cables?

I see Thunderbolt to HDMIs but should I use a display splitter to the two displays instead of two ports?

I will use Thunderbolt to USB B for printer & synology for speed.

Ok - time for slings and arrows.

Thanks Don

Plugging these into a Thunderbolt port isn’t going to provide any benefit. They’re not Thunderbolt devices, so you’ll be limited to USB 3 speeds (possibly USB 2, depending on how old the scanner and printer are).

Thanks Chris. I am learning that there is a learning curve. Both printer and scanner are less than a year old. The scanner is usb 3.0 B. Printer should be too.

Does the Synology include an ethernet? Does your router contain ethernet ports? One advantage of connecting the Synology on ethernet is that you can set it up for access from outside through a DNS service.

I have a (seven port) powered USB 3 multi-port hub and I run all my USB devices from it (including a powered fan in a stand that holds my MBP).

JJW

I am looking at the ports and cabling options - I am thinking:

TB Port #1 - Monitor 1
TB Port #2 - Monitor 2 - or should I get a splitter

AFAIK there aren’t TB “splitters,” but rather TB hubs. TB devices can be daisy chained, but very few monitors support this.

Typically a TB hub will have a lot of break out ports: extra USB ports, maybe a SD card reader, usually HDMI out for a monitor, and gigabit ethernet.

Printers are either USB or ethernet; they’re slow, and cannot profit from TB’s bandwidth.

No, Synologys use ethernet to connect. Furthermore, unless you’ve installed a 10Gbe NIC card in your Syno (probably not), you’re restricted to 1 gigabit speeds, maybe 120 MB/s, so, again, not nearly what TB3 bandwidth offers.

USB 1 - ScanSnap
USB 2 - USB Hub for accessories - keyboard, mouse, camera.

Sure.

Ethernet
Modem to Mac Mini
Modem to Orbi
Modem to Sonos
Orbi to Printer
Orbi to scanner if possible,

Usually it’s a modem to a router, though of course often these are combined in one device. If you need more ethernet connections, you can get a switch that comes after your router.

Modem to Ethernet/Lighting Cable Dongle - maximizing downloads to the Idevices

Don’t know what this is. Lightening cables are USB; that’s the maximum bandwidth to iDevices

Hard to speak categorically, but the stuff I’ve bought has been OK.

Finally: read up on TB3 cables. If you’re hooking something up that needs all of TB’s bandwidth, the cables for that are special. Many others are actually USB-C cables which look exactly like TB cables, which transfer data less than a quarter of the speed of TB3.

But of course so far you don’t have anything that needs the TB bandwidth.

Thanks Timo: To keep things complicated, my PC died. Since I have a project due, I moved my Macbook pro over and have been working with the ports and cables to see what works, so that I can still scan, print, and get this report out before the MacMini gets delivered next week.

Egad. Well, whatever you figure out, connection-wise, for the MacBook Pro will translate more or less intact to the Mini.