Sylvan’s Standing Desk Setup

Here is my new standing desk setup I’ve built this summer.

The desk:
Fully Jarvis Standing Desk (160 x 80cm) with curved bamboo top, cable management and dual monitor arm.

On the desk:
MacBook Pro 15" (2016)
LG 27" UltraFine 5K Display
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Magic Trackpad 2
Logitech MX Master Navy Blue
Magic Mouse (1st Gen)
iPad Pro 11" (2018) with Smart Keyboard Folio
HomePod
Two IKEA coasters (one for the bottle of water, the other for the HomePod)
Anker 10W Wireless Charger
Belkin Stand for Apple Pencil - Silver

Under the desk:
Desk hooks for my bag (not shown) and the Bose QC35 case

I try to keep this desk as clean as possible in order to focus on my work. I have another small desk where I put physical mail and other paperwork. Every few days, I’ll go through it and scan it using my ScanSnap.

I’ve added casters to my desk, so I can easily move it towards my balcony. This way, I can be outside in summer while still having access to my big monitor. Here’s a picture of my summer setup:

Let me know what you think! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Sweet! That is my thought :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:+1:

Looks great. I love that idea of being able to move the desk so you can be outside and still see the monitor.

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

The summer was really nice here this year and I didn‘t like the idea of practically missing so many warm days. At first, I went outside with just the iPad an MacBook but some tasks just work better on the big screen (surprise… :wink:). So, I’m really happy that I don’t have to choose between working more efficiently on the big screen or enjoying the sun. :smile:

I was concerned about reflections at first, but luckily with a sunshade behind me this is no problem.

Also, one benefit that I just noticed after using this setup for a couple of times: When you look into the room, you are less likely to be distracted by things occuring outside. And when you pair it with a set of noise-cancelling headphones, it gets even better :grin:

What persuaded you to do the curved desk? Are you pleased with your choice?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Nick! :slight_smile:

At first, I had planned to get the rectangular version but while I was thinking about whether I really wanted to purchase a standing desk, I gradually fell in love with the way the curved one looks.

In general, I am very happy with the decision I made. I like that I can put things like physical documents a bit more to the side than what would be possible with a rectangular desk. And somehow my brain automatically divides the desk into to kinds of areas: the areas to the left and right (where edge is straight) as places to put paper, books or other reference material, while the curved part is reserved for my arms, so I can use my keyboard and mouse. Also, because the curved part slightly descends toward the front of the desk, I feel like it is more comfortable than the rectangular one.
However, with my particular desk top, I noticed some minor cracks in the curved part (see the attached photo. Fully’s customer support has been excellent, so I am still very satisfied with the desk, but if this is a concern for you, the rectangular model (or one of the non-wood desk tops) might be the better choice. And please keep in mind that it looks a lot worse on the photo than in reality. The crack is about 2.5 centimeters (or about 1 inch) and even though I know where it is, it just took me a good 30 seconds to find the spot.

If there’s anything more you’d like to know, feel free to ask. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Sylvan! Great to hear that Fully is taking care of you.

1 Like