Synology NAS server replacement need suggestions

Interesting – thank you. Having run these myself, I can see why they only accept ODM drives in a device that is likely to be part of a farm with high availability expectations and maintenance contracts to ensure the same.

Would be interesting to see benchmarks of SYN drives vs. others, to gauge how attractive their policy is.

2 Likes

The text I found said they couldn’t provide support for compatibility issues. That’s kind of the default for most companies, once A says it’s B, you’re on your own. Understandable too, and one of the reasons I use Apple products, software tested on the hardware, and vice-versa.

From the lock above:

Synology does not guarantee the compatibility with third-party products and peripherals on the List and reserves the right to update the List at any time without prior notice (Learn more).

Synology will not provide technical support if your device is not on the Synology Products Compatibility List.

They also recommend enterprise drives for anything above surveillance-level use (skipping the intermediate NAS-rated level).

1 Like

Thanks for the updates. Much appreciated.

1 Like

From what I’ve read synology drives are made by Toshiba and while I haven’t yet discovered who makes their ram apparently Crucial guarantees 100% compatibility.

But considering the supply chain problems we may be facing for the next few years, purchasing equipment that depends on a single vendor for spares would make me very uncomfortable.

Interestingly on the DS2422+ referenced in that reddit post, they do have a non Synology that is compatible. The DS1821+ has a number of compatible drives. Let’s hope that it doesn’t trickle down to the 8 bay models.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&model=DS2422%2B&category=hdds_no_ssd_trim&p=1&change_log_p=1