Synology to iOS devices?

Anyone have success accessing files on a Synology from iOS? I’m using the DS File utility, and while it does let me browse the file structure, accessing files is either not working at all or being way too slow to be useful.

How do you access yours and pull files onto the iPad?

Thanks!

(Edit: accessing the same files from my Mac, also over WiFi is working fine.)

Are you downloading files from DS File to your iOS device? Or accessing them a different way? I’m not exactly clear what you’re doing.

If I click on a video in DS File and let it play the video via the Infuse app it takes a few second for it to load the file and start playing. If I select a video file and have DS File download for offload viewing that also takes a few seconds (I’m talking about one GB in size). In DS Files settings I have it set to play video via HTTP. I authenticate via HTTPS.

I am NOT using Synology’s server as an intermediary. I.e. I have my device’s own IP in the address field. Going through there server is slower (though it is easier to set up this way).

1 Like

Just tried it to view a pdf I had stored on my Synology and it displayed fine. Took a little while to load.

1 Like

Yes, I access the Synology directly through DS File, using the local IP on the same network. Even loading files of 5-10 MB is almost impossible. These are JPGs, PNGs and EPS-files. Not that the file type should matter regarding transfer speeds. Mine is a 4-bay DS413-J, I believe.

Transmit for iOS was great for accessing your NAS but unfortunately Panic has discontinued it. The DS File app is our only choice for now :frowning:

1 Like

I have been using Resilio Sync to access files on my Synology from iOS. Actually most of my important folders are Resilio Sync’d between my Mac, my Synology, and my iphone and ipad. That way i can get to them from any where.

1 Like

Still, this might be a workable idea. I don’t have FTP currently active, and I do have a FTP app installed. NFS could possibly also have some clients that are better than the DS apps.

Thanks!

1 Like

Not familiar with Resilio, but will look into it to see if it can work for me.

Thanks!

SOLVED: Thanks to @nicolas great idea I now got this sorted. Activating FTP and connecting through Readdle Documents, I now can fly through the Synology folders, preview the files and load them on the iPad as needed.

I have more than a TB of images and design resources, so sync isn’t going to work. Browse and download is now working as expected. Will be deleting those Synology apps :smiley:

2 Likes

Or try the new synology Drive app. Works for me

2 Likes

I tried that, but was unable to figure out what package I needed to run on the Synology. The app told me it could not connect, but was otherwise not helpful :smiley:

It should be part of the packages you van install called “Drive” in the packet manager. If it is not there, try to update DSM to the latest version. It should replace the cloud station versions.

1 Like

I’ve setup WebDav on the Synology and use Readdle Documents to access it. Works super well. In fact use the webDav in many other applications (ScannerPro, photosync, etc)

1 Like

Thanks. I may be one fix-pack behind on my updates. I actually did install Cloud Station, and that was not working. Will look for Drive after DSM updates are completed.