Tana -- new Obsidian wannabe

Yes, definitely.

Watching this video of how Maggie Appleton is using it. Her use is very, very structured. I find historically that this can be a rabbit hole and overwhelming for me. E.g. at 29:00 she talks about a note she created when she and her partner discussed buying an ice cream maker. Whereas I wind up with dozens of one-offs, and processes that take longer than the work itself. There are lots of things I can learn, and improve on.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve just received my invite after waiting for maybe 10 days or so.

Having trouble actually getting into the thing though :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Anybody have a Tana invite?

I just received my invite this morning, cannot invite others yet. Do not know when I shall get to do this, but will share once I am able to do that

First 30 minutes’ experience, it is very powerful and versatile. I think I shall use it as my personal database using text but I do not know whether it would replace Obsidian. It is just different. Obviously I do not know what I do not know yet

I got my invite a couple of weeks ago. First off, it’s definitely not an Obsidian wannabe. Sorry for that thread title. Tana is it’s own animal and I’m really enjoying it. If you’re new to Tana, take a dive into all the videos that Tana Inc. provides, as well as the short, simple and useful intro videos here.

You’ll want to get your head around supertags and fields, and how to weave them together. Once you have that skill down, you can build anything in Tana.

Katie

The first thing I check is where the data is stored and Tana appears to store its data (my data) on it own servers. So that is a non-starter for me. (My personal preference is for apps like NotePlan and Obsidian that store my data on my Mac.)

2 Likes

I’ve been trying out Tana for several days now, and it is appealing to me. You can add structure where you want things to be consistent, or just go freeform.
I’ve been watching this guy’s videos, and find them helpful. His interstitial journaling (on steroids, apparently inspired by Ultrawork), may convince me to put a toilet in my living room.

If you’re unfamiliar, I would recommend watching his intro videos first. I find box videos better than the official videos, which are about twice as fast as they should be.

2 Likes