I completely understand the scenario, over the last 6 months or so, I’ve cycled through OF (my long term choice), a custom Excel spreadsheet and MS Outlook’s tasks (I have to use Windows at work) then back to OF again. My project list had ballooned massively between Projects I was driving, Projects I had delegated to staff and those I was a part of, and when I sat down and wrote them out, I have over 100 project which were active or waiting on others.
- The excel spreadsheet was great for listing projects and getting the 10,000 and 20,000 foot views, but wasn’t granular enough for adding individual tasks, plus really didn’t work on iPhone or work well for reviews
- Outlook Tasks was good for working in outlook, turning emails into tasks and collaborating with colleagues, but on both Excel and Outlook I missed the review features and the repeating projects with sub tasks.
So I’m now back in OF as my trusted system, but I still can’t get that true 10,000 foot view within OF for IOS (I don’t use the Mac Version) which is literally just a list of projects in a format/presentation I can wok with. When I have time I need to look into automation to see if I can do this with Shortcuts.
The transition back into OF was in 3 stages
- Remove all tasks and projects from previously
- Review my Folders and Contexts to set up a system which reflects how I work now
- Add projects back into OF and add tasks to them
I’m now in the process of building perspectives as I need them to get the views I need.