Tell me I'm not dumb as dirt / Find and REPLACE not in Apple Notes on iPad?

If I’m missing this I’m going to feel as dumb as dirt. :grinning: I was using my iPad and wanted to find and replace some text in Apple Notes. Easy to do on the MBP. But, I could not find the “replace” option when using Apple Notes on the iPad. I’m running the latest iPad with the latest OS.

Am I missing this?

I can’t find a way to do it either. Looks like I would have to round trip the text through MS Word or Google Docs to do a F & R.

I can’t find (pun intended) it either. I did notice that if you hold down Command (I have an external keyboard), it pops up a list of shortcuts but Find AND Replace is not in there.

I just did command “f” in Pages was all I needed.

Same thing with Notes.

1 Like

That is correct on the MacBook but not on the iPad. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not necessarily, it is still part of my experiment that I mentioned in an earlier post. I’m still focused on Craft but I’m not quite finished up my experiment with Apple Notes and Reminders. :slightly_smiling_face: as I said previously, I would really like to be able to use Apple Notes but for the reasons I’ve outlined before I’m not sure it is tenable. But, this is why I’m checking out things such as find/replace when using the iPad. I’ll add that when I heard Stephen on Connected say he was once again experimenting with Apple Notes having been using Craft that again peaked my interest.

That is a strange omission not to port over from the Mac version. For the life of me I can’t understand why that functionality would not be available.

Well I suppose the good news is that I’m not as dumb as dirt after all. :joy:

4 Likes

You should submit this Notes shortfall on Product Feedback - Apple. And the subject should be “I am not dumb as dirt.”

1 Like

That made me laugh! If I send it accordingly, whoever gets it will either laugh or roll their eyes! :roll_eyes:

I think it is wishful thinking on my part. I really want to minimize apps but I find that all of them are missing features for my wants/needs. The prospect of using Apple default apps to avoid subscriptions and to leverage deep system integration is very appealing–which is why I’m trying so hard to make it work.

I discovered (through this forum) a nice email sharing trick for Reminders so I think Reminders will be able to replace Things. But Notes is another matter. There is much about Craft that makes it stand out in the crowd of note apps. My only real “issue” with Craft is when I bulk export to Markdown, all of the Markdown syntax shows up which means if I want to use exported notes in other applications and I don’t want MD, I have to remove all of the syntax or open or use a preview function, copy, then paste, or export to Word and then copy/paste into the target application or open in another app one note at a time. Apple Notes is worse in this regard as the only export option is PDF unless I copy the content from each note and paste in another application. Not an appealing prospect but I do like quick notes and the system integration.

That said, I still lean toward Craft as having the best overall balance of features with limited friction.

I am sorry. I just looked it up and was surprised to see it in Notes at all. :wink:

1 Like

I have to disagree regarding ‘half-baked’. It depends on your objective. If your objective is to get best-of-class for each application, you probably wouldn’t choose any Apple software. However if your criteria is for how well ALL of your software works cohesively together, then Apple scores rather high.

I also spent many years critiquing and trying many applications. Lately I have found that I am much more productive accepting less features, but better interoperability. The more I accept Apple’s shortcomings, the more I realize the simplistic beauty in many of their apps.

That being said, I would like to see a snooze option in Apple Mail :grinning:

@Nick_Fulgham You just stated better than I could exactly the issue I’ve been wrestling with.

Reading your post brought clarity to my struggle–I’ve been searching for “best-of-class” native apps, that have high levels of interoperability within Apple’s ecosystem, that provide long-term portability, a clean GUI and the ability to embed tables, images, and footnotes without the complexity and syntax clutter of markdown–all without a subscription.

I don’t ask for much! :wink:

This new found clarity is already helping me accept that my ideal does not exist. Therefore, I have to accept this reality and make hard choices to determine what is most important and what I’m willing to forego.

Based on this and my recent experiments with Apple Notes, Craft, Obsidian, iA Writer, Reminders, Things, OmniFocus, Calendars, Fantastical, and Spark for my work and personal notes, email, appointments, project/task management, work communications, blog articles, research (PKM) and a significant book project; I believe my best compromise based on balancing my ideals with what is available are the following applications:

• Apple Calendar, Reminders, Mail, Notes (work and personal notes)
  • iA Writer (work communications and book project)
  • Obsidian (research/PKM)
  • Zotero (references)

None of the above are ideal–each represents a compromise. I also hate to give up on Craft. But, all things considered and recognizing that I cannot “have my cake and eat it to”, I need to accept the compromise and wait at least a year or more before seeing if/how the app environment has evolved. And, using the above applications incur no subscriptions or cost to speak of. I also use two utilities–Alfred and Moom.

Thanks for your helpful response!

2 Likes

That is a fair question. In my app journey, I’ve “invested” in several apps–partly influenced by input in this forum. I believe this was a worthwhile investment in the short term. That said, I’ve canceled my subscriptions to:

• Drafts Pro (basic is good enough)
  • Fantastical
  • Ulysses
  • TE
  • Bookends
  • Carrot Weather

I may cancel my subscriptions to Craft and 1PW as well; I’m still undecided.

The other apps I’ve paid for are Spark, OF and Things. Things is a great app and I could certainly continue using it. But, at some point I’ll have to pay for an upgrade or the developers will go to a subscription model. Reminders is free, is continuously updated, and is proving adequate. Notes is similar in that regard, though with more limitations than Reminders. OF is just too fiddly for me. I’ve been blessed with the financial resources to afford most anything I want but just because I can afford something doesn’t mean it is the best and highest use of my resources.

I freely admit I’ve been all over the place, going back and forth more times than I care to admit. On one hand, this is not all bad. New apps are developed, older apps updated, etc. Given the rapid pace of technology and app development, there is a time and place to experiment.

However, this can be carried to an excess; I believe I have fallen into that trap. While this is not the “unpardonable sin”, it can be unwise stewardship of one’s time and resources. To the extent it has been for me I need to limit the constant app experimentation. I need to “settle” and “learn to be content” with my current tools–as least for the foreseeable future.

I hope this makes sense!

1 Like

To paraphrase another famous admission, “There but for the eternal restlessness of @Bmosbacker go I.”

I’m familiar with that famous admission–that brought a smile. :slightly_smiling_face:

Given that I also said “I need to learn to be content” with my current tools–at least for the foreseeable future" I fully expect to purchase applications in the future. My point is that I’ve been excessive in experimentation–going back and forth trying to find the perfect applications. This is partly influenced by this forum and the MPU podcast (that is not a criticism; it is only an acknowledgement that this forum tends to promote app experimentation). I’m not commenting on any one else’s approach–only on mine. Yes, I could keep using Things, for example. However, if I continue using it and then later I decide to move to Reminders because later I decide Reminders is good enough I’ll have to copy/paste all of my projects/tasks into Reminders. I have A LOT of them so I’d rather just make a decision and stick with it. I’ve done enough experimentation at this point that I’m convinced while not perfect, Reminders, Notes, et al are good enough and I just need to move on. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like