TextExpander raises $41.4M, its first-ever funding

Here are some informations, regarding that topic

1 Like

Exactly. I can see the valuable use for TE in a small firm or as an individual, but that doesn’t (to me) justify this level of investment. Enterprises will already have (or will soon have if they’re looking to upgrade) systems that automatically generate prepopulated emails/contracts/invoices/standard responses.

1 Like

The thing I’ve found is that a lot of those chatbots and automated systems are incredibly poor. Even ones at big companies like Amazon, which makes a huge deal about how they’re “Earth’s most customer-centric company”.

I could definitely see a market for human-driven customer service tools that provide some of the automation offered by chatbots, but with a more human spin. Depends on the company, of course. And on the pricing.

agreed, much better to pay keyboard maestro, a pay-once app, which does this and 100x more stuff

I think you are right to be baffled: see my remark about Keyboard Maestro’s creator Peter Lewis. Really I think this is an example of how unmoored some things are from their real or even ‘marginal utility’ value.
There is a real utility here, as @webwalrus points out, however to my mind that does not remove my bafflement which is similar to yours and, frankly, I don’t think the issue is a ‘tech’ one at all as such but is some function of investor projection or something like that.

Any more than say inflated house prices are explained by thinking about or talking to carpenters or roofers. Much ink is wasted, and was in my old country on changing construction methods, zoning, cramming housing units together etc. etc. and none of it did anything beyond move the inflated prices onto smaller and smaller units.

Or that the prototype financial bubble in Dutch Tulips would be understood by talking to horticulturalists, though tulips do have some interesting and unusual properties. I have to say it worries me in some undirected and vague sense though.

1 Like