The bit where one AirPod is at 100% and one at 0% is really getting old

Bought these AirPod Pros about 18 months ago. Last fall they replaced both but not the case as part of the warranty/recall. Every so often I get the thing where I go to put them in and one is charged and one dead. I carefully reseat them and then let them charge, and it’s usually better. But it’s getting more frequent and annoying.

I periodically try to clean all of the contacts while also trying not to leave any debris in there.

Anyone else dealing with this? Grrr. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve had some similar issues with my non-Pro AirPods in the past. It seemed like sometimes dirt* on the bottom of the “bulb” part of the AirPod or the “bowl” part of the case was keeping it from seating all the way in the case and seating on the charging contacts. Being more attentive to cleaning that stuff off seems to have helped considerably.

*being euphemistic here

3 Likes

Heard the AirPods were designed in a dust-less lab…
there are countless threads in interweb about these issues…

1 Like

Thanks to both of you. Just needed to vent a little and know that it’s not just me.

The reality is that 90% of the time they’re amazing and feel like magic, maybe one of the best bits of Apple hardware ever. But this is annoying. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I put mine back in the case, I always wiggle each one until I see the light blink indicating a good connection. This seems to have helped a lot.
Also @ChrisUpchurch 's advice of wiping the cerumen off.

2 Likes

I’ve had this with two pairs of AirPods, three pairs of Pros (replacements under AppleCare for other reasons), and especially with PowerBeats Pro. It seems less frequent with the Pros.

2 Likes

Just to add I have this problem with the Powerbeats Pro as well in addition to my Airpods Pro. Pretty darn annoying!

I’ve had this problem. Apple replaced both AirPods under the warranty but it started happening again out of warranty. I sent the AirPods and case in for servicing. They found that the contact point in the case was corroded and said such damage was not due to any fault so they replaced the case and charged me. The final indignity was that the new case did not have my initials on. The original had been a birthday present from my family!

I guess we have to accept that these things wear out quite fast? I guess a year of perfect service and maybe two years overall is decent if you use it for hours daily (like I do).

I’ve had this happen from time to time even when the AirPods were new, so I don’t think that it’s related solely to wear (though it certainly can be in some cases (no pun intended)). I honestly think that it’s a software issue coupled with a very sensitive-to-having-contact-disrupted seating mechanism. I wonder if other brands’ 'buds also have similar issues.

2 Likes

I agree the design needs to be rethought by Apple and I’m certain they have received enough complaints about this but, in their always secretive manner, will never admit to it.

1 Like

They all do. I’m not familiar with the details of all of them but I know some have to factory reset to get their Sonys to charge again, and Jabra occasionally requires resetting the case to fix charging. Agreed delicate hardware and firmware are probably interacting poorly.

I’d like to see an improvement but I don’t know what to suggest. Maybe contacts on the side, requiring tighter holes with an air escape? Instead of a satisfying click we’d get a satisfying slide whistle sound (and probably complain about the air duct clogging.)

2 Likes

I thought each AirPod should have it’s own light.

2 Likes

Do that, spin around twice, and wave a dead chicken (or a bucket of KFC) over the airpods twice a week. It banishes the evil spirits from the Airpods. :smiley:

3 Likes

This is an excellent idea.

I do this every single time too, but I still see the issue once in a while. This procedure seems to have no effect on the PowerBeats Pros either: those have a maddeningly high incidence rate of one randomly not charging, or just discharging overnight.

1 Like