The new Fantastical

Watch data sync is a known bug; they told me they are working on a fix.

2 Likes

Maybe itā€™s the Watch sync bug fix?

Iā€™ve been following this thread and what Iā€™ve decided is it is not worth it to keep using Fantastical if it going to be this confusing to figure out how to use my calendar. I think the best analogy so far has been itā€™s like buying a new physical calendar every year, but I donā€™t really want to do that, and if I have to add overhead to my ā€œsacredā€ tool, then thatā€™s more than I really need to do.

1 Like

I have had Fantastical 1, then 2, for a long time and especially with v2 I appreciated and used its integration with Reminders on Catalina. I donā€™t use Fantastical on my phone or iPad, just my Mac.

On v3 release day Fantastical 2 offered to upgrade to v3 and told me I get to keep all v2 features. Seemed like that was OK, so I did let it upgrade from v2 to v3. (It also offered a 14 day trial of premium but I donā€™t use the app for collaboration and donā€™t use it on iOS, so that wasnā€™t necessary I thought)

In the upgrade process the app upgraded the database, so that might mean I could never go back to v2, if I could even find the installer.

Only one glitch so far. With Google Calendars v3 syncs and imports events with the wrong color ā€“ I mean, it doesnā€™t respect the color I set in Preferences. In fact it uses a ā€œcustom colorā€, which shouldnā€™t happen since custom colors is a premium feature. Not a big deal. I assume v3.x will fix it.

Anyway, the upgrade was free and did no damage and didnā€™t take anything away on Mac. I donā€™t know about iOS upgrades. For me, this was a non-issue.

1 Like

Wow they are getting clobbered in reviews on the App Store. It must be very difficult for devs/companies to forecast how many users they will lose compared to how many will pay up, and what the net revenue gain will be (plus reputation damage).

I appreciate getting to keep most of the past features without upgrading, but could do without the nags. Also glad to read theyā€™ve already pushed a fix for watch app.

1 Like

Typical for every app Iā€™ve seen that went to subscription, regardless of how smoothly. Ulysses is 4.7 stars in the MAS now, but for the first year it was 3 stars or under.

Wow, prices rose on those apps - back in 2017 I got the Mac and iOS apps for $1.99 each. I use the Mac app but only for the menubar clock and to view events - I found it slightly painful to enter items on the Mac app, and I didnā€™t take to the iOS app at all. (On iOS I use the pay version of Readdleā€™s Calendar [thereā€™s a free version in the App Store too], and on the Mac a 3rd-party Google Calendar app thatā€™s no longer available.

1 Like

Yea. I went looking at alternative calendar apps after Fantasticalā€™s pricing, and it was amazing to me how expensive many of the apps are.

1. Calendar 366 is decent, but still no where near as fluid as Fantastical. But on iOS itā€™s the one closest to what Iā€™m looking for that isnā€™t Fantastical. But itā€™s $22 for both versions
  2. WeekCal is the closest in functionality to Fantastical on iOS, but itā€™s a yearly subscription for $15, and no Mac app.
  3. BusyCal is a great app suite, probably the closest to what I want on the Mac. However, their iOS app is missing the Day Ticker view that Fantastical has, so itā€™s a bit more cumbersome to see my schedule in a list. If you donā€™t have Setapp, the Mac app is $50 + $5 for iOS.
  4. Readdleā€™s Calendar is decent & has a free option, but again no Day Ticker view, and no Mac app.

All in all, it has made me realize how much of a monopoly Fantastical has on multi-system calendaring now.

$40 is a lot to pay per year to use a calendar when I mostly keep track on paper (and I donā€™t collaborate with a lot of others), so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll subscribe when my trial is up. But itā€™s definitely the most seamless option when youā€™re trying to work across iOS, macOS, & watchOS. :man_shrugging: :blush:

Long time user here. Just deleted and going back to the stock app. I donā€™t do subscriptions for apps.

There is opening a gap for developers that want to sell apps. Everybody imho loathes subscriptions

1 Like

I went ahead and got Calendar 366 for iOS - $6.99 - and so far it seems great for my needs. I havenā€™t experimented much with adding items though.

Update:
The 30 day trial on the Mac is greatā€¦and so far as easy as Fantastical for adding new items.

Out of curiosity I reinstalled BusyCal on my Mac. I had purchased it sometime ago but for over a year now I have been using the default Apple calendar. When I put them side-by-side, there is minimal difference. I know there are a few tweaks here and there in BusyCal in terms of alarms and some other features but frankly, I donā€™t see much advantage in a program like BusyCal versus the stock app. Perhaps Iā€™m missing something? And of course, I will need to continue upgrading BusyCal if I were to use it whereas the Apple calendar is completely free. To me, it makes sense to just stay with Apple calendar. In short, I just donā€™t see anything compelling to justify the cost in the non-stock calendar apps. Thoughts?

1 Like

Doesnā€™t BusyCal also offer natural language parsing on iOS and Apple doesnā€™t (currently just on macOS)?
Also smart filters and calendar sets should be available.

Smart Filters are the killer feature for me. It also has a menubar calendar option, in addition to natural language, weather integrationā€¦

Anyone know how to install Fantastical 2 on iOS. I went through the install via Purchased Apps and chose Fantastical 2 but still it installs V3. What a mess they created.

This is ransomware from Fantastical. Leave my purchased App alone.

I may have spoke too soon :slight_smile: Iā€™m going to give BusyCal a two week run to see what I think. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

This is fixed in 3.0.1 and v2 customers even seem to get the new calendar selection for free :smile:

Additionally they made several of the Premium starts grey instead of red, so itā€™s less ā€œin your faceā€ to v2 customers.

1 Like

Version 3 (iPhone & iPad) is an update to iPhone version 2.

Since you canā€™t install older versions of an App (unless the current version is not supported on the iOS version running on a device), you can only install iPhone version 3. You can install iPad version 2, since that was a separate App, which is not updated.

The key feature is customizability.

• Almost total control over font sizes
  • Reminders integration
  • Specify how many days are in a week for a 2-week ā€œweekā€ view
  • Menubar app
  • Natural language
  • Weather integration
  • Timezone support
  • Info panel customization

Thereā€™s so much in there. Honestly, itā€™s so close to Fantastical if you only need macOS and donā€™t care about feature parity with iOS, then BusyCal is a super solid choice.

Iā€™m a heavy user of calendaring (I time-block my days). Appleā€™s Calendar apps are not enough for me, and I really dislike the gestures on the iPhone to switch to different views. I never can remember how to switch between them; it just hasnā€™t clicked with my brain.

Because Iā€™m a heavy calendar user, I regularly try the competition. Thus far, Iā€™ve always returned to Fantastical. So after reading the release notes, it was a no-brainer for me to subscribe. Flexibits seems to be doing the right things here ā€” except for the auto-update from v2 to v3. They could have avoided a lot of the bitching here if theyā€™d just abandoned v2 like other developers have. That method has its downsides, too, but only time will tell if the negative reaction here is enough to damage their sales.

As for watch sync, I rely upon it and itā€™s ALWAYS been buggy. This fallā€™s release of Catalina and iOS 13 screwed up calendar sync on the watch for me for weeks! And thatā€™s with the stock Calendar app ā€” it has nothing to do with Fantastical. (Though I prefer to run Fantastical on the watch, when I have sync problems I switch to Appleā€™s Calendar. In my experience, every calendar sync problem has been with Appleā€™s data. Which is reassuring but also a bummer.)

I got my sync working again by restarting all of my devices. Not sure if it was the restart that did it or Fantasticalā€™s point update that just appeared.

4 Likes

I definitely need iOS syncā€“I spend 80-90+ percent of my time on the iPad Pro (varies by week and projects). But, as far as I can tell, it syncs fine. Thanks for the list of features. Iā€™m going to have to spend more time with BC to learn some of the features. YouTube information is old or minimal.

Sorry, I guess I shouldā€™ve written that as ā€œfeature parityā€. BusyCal on macOS is quite different to BusyCal on iOS as far as features go.

1 Like