The new Fantastical

The new Fantastical is here. This is one of my favourite app for years and I use it all the time to keep my life on track.

Post your thoughts and experiences here with the new version. Are you enjoying it?

If you come across any good guides and/or tutorials to the new version then feel free to post them here.

1 Like

still says coming soon on their website, when I look.

I hope it’s good. Fantastical 2 on my Mac is amazing.

1 Like

Eh. Got a link? I feel teased. Nothing on the app store or Flexibits’ website for me, either, except this “The new Fantastical is coming” page.

Another subscription…

5 Likes

No, it’s not out yet.

The dev’s site refers to the new version as ‘coming soon’ with an all-new UI… but not a single screenshot… Meh.

I bought it a while back for iPhone, was personally disappointed with its Day view compared to Readdle Calendars, and I deleted it. I understand the Mac app is quite nice, however there I’m comfortable living in the week (or 2-week) view inside Google Calendar.

1 Like

It is out. It’s in the Mac App Store. $49.99 plus $39.99/year for all features. Very expensive for a front-end to iCloud and Google calendars.

Feature sets:

Looks like they’ve taken the day, week, month and year views and put them behind the subscription paywall. Also to have multiple calendar sets a subscription is now needed. So they’ve taken the key features from v2 and made them a subscription.

No upgrade for me. I don’t want to reward bad anti-consumer behavior like that.

Katie

7 Likes

Ah, Mac only so far.

I’m not opposed to subscription pricing, but the extra features don’t impress me too much. I personally would like to see what their Todoist integration is supposed to look like, though Todoist already offers (even in the free version) 2-way sync to Google Calendar for any tasks with date/time.

1 Like

Although I use Fantastical on my iphone, I still use Fantastical v1 on my computer (which I love). I don’t have a huge need for a powerful calendar at this point so when I want a big view of my calendar, I just use the stock app.

2 Likes

No, I just updated my iPhone version to the new one. This update is a little confusing. The UI looks good, but I will not subscribe.

I am not sure about that. As I understand the developer’s website, Fantastical will be “free”, but it needs a subscription for the premium features.

1 Like

This is why I have auto-updates disabled on my macOS and iOS devices. I now have to be careful to pick and choose which of the updated apps get installed rather than blindly updating everything.

I detest vendors that bill the new version as “new and improved” and before you know it the upgrade has taken place and you’re left with 10% of the functionality unless you pay for a premium subscription and no way to roll back to the previous, perfectly working version.

Grrrr.

5 Likes

As I get it from the update page if you upgrade from v2 to v3 (ios) you get “downgraded” to the free tier funcionalities. Am I correct?

1 Like

Yes, the “upgrade” is really a “downgrade” because the features you had in v2 are now hostage to the subscription fee.

I really despise this sort of behavior with devs.

Katie

7 Likes

They “sell” it differently (that you keep what you had in v2, but the realitiy is that some things seem to have gone like @KVZ already has mentioned).

I respect the developer’s decision to switch the license model, but there is only so much money I am willing to spend for subscriptions and Fantastical does not qualify for me to subscribe to it. :slight_smile:

I will use the stock calendar app and I check my calendar in OmniFocus anyway…

2 Likes

For those looking for an alternative: I am quite happy with Calendar 366 II.

1 Like

Yes, the “upgrade” is really a “downgrade” because the features you had in v2 are now hostage to the subscription fee.

If you previously purchased Fantastical, I don’t think you lose any features by upgrading. Here’s a quote from the post on the Sweet Setup:

If you are a current Fantastical 2 user but not a fan of the switch to subscription-based pricing, Fantastical 3 actually installs over Fantastical 2 and gives you access to every feature you previously had. That means that you can still do things like access the different views using the new UI and can add invitees to calendar events. But if you want access to new features like templates and meeting proposals, you’ll need to upgrade to Fantastical Premium.

1 Like

This is not so clear on the AppStore (where it should be cristal clear, imo)

3 Likes

This is not so clear on the AppStore (where it should be cristal clear, imo)

Agreed. This needs to be crystal clear.

2 Likes

There is a welcom screen, after the update, that states that all the features of F2 are unlocked for the existing customer

1 Like

Yes, I have read that, too. I have purchased Fantastical 2. I did the update to v3 and I lost the option to change the list view to the day view, week view or whatever. It may be a bug or whatever else, but as of right now, I definitely am not able to use what I had been able to use in v2. @KVZ is right.

2 Likes

I use Calendar 366 II, and I like it a lot, but I only use as my replacement menubar clock with a quick dropdown view of my upcoming schedule. I never found it pleasant to add or edit calendar items with it.

Since I use Google Calendars I either use it in Brave (or other Chromium browers) with UI tweaks courtesy of the G-Calize extension, or I use a custom webapp to access Google Calendar.

2 Likes