The new Fantastical

According to their site you specifically lost the ability to those views in full-screen… but presumably not in anything smaller than that.

Yes! :slight_smile: But at least for me, stuff like switching to day view is not available. I have no idea how to “unlock” those options without subscribing.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I recommend reaching out to Flexibits Support, if you haven’t already.

Well, this is an unexpected turn of events. Fantastical was one of those apps for me that didn’t need updates… it functioned perfectly and I used it many times daily.

Flexibits tends to be celebrated by most app reviewers, but Cardhop was severely overrated in my opinion (and was a total waste of money for me). I am curious about whether those same journalists are willing to criticize this hostility.

A review is up, anyway:

6 Likes
1 Like

I found Contacts to be ugly and annoying to use (especially when entering Notes), and Cardhop made things just pleasant enough to be worth the cost to me.

5 Likes

It is interesting that I am slowly going back to apples stock apps. Clearly a subscription for a calendar is ridiculous. It was quite an expensive app at version 2 so the devs have probably made a ton on money already.

I have deleted it. I don’t do subscriptions for software. App subscriptions are a business idea that obfuscates cost and is almost always is bad value for the customer.

8 Likes

I’ve been using Fantastical 3 in beta for just over a month…and am happy to finally be able to talk about it! In summary, it really is a stellar release! I especially appreciate the functional and UI upgrades to the iOS/iPadOS app.

Be sure to check out @MacSparky’s post, which includes a link to his FREE Fantastical Field Guide.

2 Likes
1 Like

Yep, those are all glowing. There are a few buried ledes, like better natural language processing:

Fantastical’s natural language parsing engine has been updated to be even more friendly and flexible. The new Fantastical now has autocomplete suggestions to quickly add invitees, locations, and calendars. Fantastical also understands expressive repeating events such as third Thursday of every month, every weekend, last weekday of the month, and more. Users can also add alerts by ending their natural language input with phrases such as “remind me tomorrow at 3 p.m.,” “alert 1 hour before,” or “alarm 3 p.m.”

Better task integration is a nice change. And I love the weather integration… as long as it works in my region (AccuWeather has failed me before).

Woof. This subscription might be worth it.

Pro tip: if you have an iPad, you can play around with the new version without overwriting v2 because this upgrade is anchored to the iPhone edition.

That said, the iPad version is gone from the app store, so be careful not to uninstall the wrong one!

2 Likes

Just updated. I wish I read this thread first. Quite confused. It sounds like after updating unless I get a subscription going, I will lose out on multi platform sync?

I’ve been using Fantastical for several years, I’m not thrilled. I might try Readdle Calendar or begrudgingly go back to the Apple Calendar.

Hrm. But it seems a consequence of updating from the iPhone version is that you don’t get v2 features on that edition on the iPad v3 binary. :man_shrugging:t2:

I’ve bounced between this and the stock app a few times, I particularly liked the iPad widget. Now, I’ll be in the same boat and I’ll be sticking to the stock app only. It isn’t worth a monthly subscription for me.

I don’t mind paying subscriptions for Software. It’s a great Calendar app. No doubt. I think a upgrade price “though expensive” I would purchase it one time. It does not warrant a subscription for me. There is nothing so much changing in a Calendar need that I need to get on a month to month basis. I am happy at this version 2 features and will not subscribe nor upgrade.

4 Likes

Last reply I’ll add here: if you like Fantastical 2 complications on the Watch and don’t intend on upgrading, don’t update to try things out. Complications didn’t work for me until I started the trial subscription.

Okay that was a post that sparked controversy. I don’t like subscriptions either but I subscribed immediately to this new version.

I’m not even clear on what features I get and don’t get with a subscription. But I just love this app.

Same goes for Things, 1Password, Bear, Drafts, Tweetbot, Apollo, Due, Pdf Expert etc

There are just some apps that really ups my game and I would say Fantastical being a calendar app, which is so important for keeping my life in order then it’s up there as a primary app and subscription possibility.

But let’s just be clear here:

So what exact features does one get with and without a subscription to the new Fantastical?

I don’t understand something from the website where are a comparison of all the features are listed. When it comes to collaboration, does this mean…

If I am not a subscriber, I can no longer receive event invitations via Google Calendar?

1 Like

Yep, same for me, despite complications being a v2 feature.

Just like a day/week/month/year view they are not accessible. In my opinion it is ridiculous to call this basic functionality a “premium” feature for a calendar app.

2 Likes

There are certain software which are not meant for Subscription. Calendar is one of it. It’s a bad move. Just for sake of subscription, a subscription is not a model for business. I would have happily paid an upgrade price for this. I suspect if they will even make the same amount from subscriptions as they would have made it from regular update revenue. Time will tell.

2 Likes