The new Fantastical

For clarification I meant for Apps. I dont have any subscriptions for Apps.

I kinda regret having created this thread. I just wanted a place to discuss some of the great new features in the new version if Fantastical, but there is seemingly no end to this thread. I think the end will be that the whole forum blows up.

4 Likes

You can mute a threadā€™s activity if itā€™s bothering you.

4 Likes

As @tjluoma said. However, its very easy to switch between computers. So if I need SetApp at home or on my laptop I might have to go to the SetApp site and sign out of my work version before logging in on another device.

I think weā€™re also seeing some of the effects of groupthink in the Apple podcasting space. This is inevitable, probably. Five years ago, it seemed that the various shows existed almost in their own silos, separate from the others. As time has passed, the hosts have naturally met and communicate more often, especially those within a network like Relay. The varied interests of the hosts have converged somewhat, which means their opinions have also converged. Theyā€™re all listening to each other, reinforcing each other, and generally agreeing with each other. I know itā€™s not 100% conformity, but on a topic like app subscriptions, the answer is more uniform than I think it would have been a few years ago.

8 Likes

You donā€™t like people to have an open and honest discussion?

1 Like

Which proves my point: the hidden +300% price increase is something people care about more than a set of new features. And while ā€œfeaturesā€ are widely addressed by podcasters/influencers, the elephant in the room ist left unaddressed.

4 Likes

@KevinR - Is that your quote, or someone else. :laughing: Awesomeness!

Will muting the thread make it more about the new features of Fantastical?

Certainly, it has been addressed now

Yes absolutely. But letā€™s move along now. We get it, itā€™s pricy if you want those features. If you donā€™t, then donā€™t do the subscription. I hate subscriptions as much as anyone and I keep them to an absolute minimum. But itā€™s the way itā€™s heading and have been for years. Itā€™s not a surprise

1 Like

I hope thats a rhetorical question.

B.t.w. the title of this thread is ā€œThe new Fantasticalā€. And I think that pretty much covers whatā€™s discussed here.

2 Likes

If their opinions dovetailed with yours would you still declare it groupthink? :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes, as someone else mentioned earlier, I am finding myself bored with a lot of the similar shows, because theyā€™re so similar. More and more I am looking forward the most to guest shows. I get it though, thereā€™s only so much you can talk about before having to repeat yourself and naturally those with similar interests start to line up.

To totally throw a curve ball (lol), now that I think about it, one of the nice things about Katie was that she wasnā€™t in the ā€œgangā€ as much. Her contrast would have been welcomed on the airwaves in a discussion such as this.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s a different issue. People with respected opinions due to experience or insightfulness who podcast (hence their podcastsā€™ popularity), and who regularly think deeply about similar tech subjects, may well come to similar opinions on a subject that some listeners disagree with. Doesnā€™t mean theyā€™re engaging in groupthink. But maybe it means you donā€™t need to listen to so many similar podcasts!

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s also a small, vocal group of people bored by a dearth of pro-flat-earth opinions on science podcasts. That darned groupthink! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hmmm. I think davidrepmoā€™s comment was considered and thoughtful, and showed some significant insight.

1 Like

This. She was a power user but also had the perspective of a practical user, with real world use-cases, that worked a job outside of tech. I never got the sense that she was trying to build herself into some kind of internet celebrity.

15 Likes

The psychological power of crowds and friends is extremely strong. I would recommend Christopher bookers new book ā€œGroup Thinkā€ which may help the understanding on this. Everyone has their own opinion and experience which is valid.

This is such a long thread that the truth is more likely to be an average of everyones comments rather than one persons opinion however vociferously voiced.

2 Likes

Iā€™d wait to hear what everyone else thought :joy:

2 Likes

Good question. Iā€™m not immune to groupthink, either, but I didnā€™t mean to imply all that goes with the Orwellian use of the term.

Still, I think thereā€™s an explanation that falls between ā€œApple podcast hosts are corrupted by moneyā€ and ā€œApple podcast hosts just all happen to coincidentally agree with each other.ā€ Yes, they happen to agree with each other, but they agree in the self-reinforcing context of having the same jobs/hobbies, same interests, and of getting public positive feedback from each other. And as I said in my original post, thereā€™s nothing particularly wrong with that. Being aware of it can help make oneā€™s analysis more thorough and less susceptible to groupthink (or whatever milder version of that concept you want to use). In fact, ā€œtheir opinionsā€ do often dovetail with mine. I pay for lots of subscription apps, for example, and have a Scansnap scanner, and use OmniFocus, and spend too much time messing around in Shortcuts, and much moreā€”all because of Apple-related podcasts. I also value the service David and Stephen provide and I think MPU is a very good podcast.

I made my original comment in the context of Fantastical, but this has gone even more off topic than before, so Iā€™ll leave it at that until the subject shows up in its own thread sometime.

1 Like