The new Fantastical

Nice find! My calendars weren’t syncing to my Watch either so I’d reverted to stock calendar. I just added my accounts and will see how things work from now on. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Before I knew v.3 is a subscription model I ended up with it on my iPhone. I’d give anything to get v.2 back on the phone because I don’t like the UI, it gives my a very crappy UX.

I saved the iPad, iMac and MacBook Air from updating. Does anyone have any idea how to go back?

Do you have a backup of your phone that you could restore from?

Same here. I’m doing fine with just Fantastical 2 on my Mac and Apple Calendar on my phone. Once Fantastical 2 stops working, I’ll just use Apple Calendar on all my devices.

If you have an iMazing backup of your phone from before the app update, you can go into iMazing and just copy the older version of that app back to your phone.

1 Like

I like that functionality as well. Unfortunately, when you upgrade to Mac OS Catalina they no longer have access to mail app or messages. Mailmate seems to be your only option for mail at this point.

Some of my events show up on my Watch, others don’t. I’ve been having to do a long-press, and then do Refresh to get them to show up. How did you “enroll all of my calendars in the Fantastical account”?

Preferences → Accounts → Add account.

Previously I was only using Accounts from iOS, the preference below the add accounts option.

It’s not perfect though. Over the past few my watch app has stuck to a time zone override I used for a moment on the iPhone. Curiously the watch complication is correct… it’s just the in-app view that refuses to switch back to normal.

PS: thanks for the refresh tip! I didn’t know you could force refresh via long press.

1 Like

Interesting. So on my MacBook Pro I’ve added my various accounts to Flexbit, and I see them listed. On my iPhone, under accounts I don’t see anything listed at all. I do have “Show Calendars from iOS” turned on, as well as “Show Reminders from iOS”. Should I see a list of accounts in iOS?

You’re welcome for the tip. :wink:

I noticed this today. The macOS app seems to have a different UI for this.

On iOS, calendars that are not added to your Fantastical account are named “Calendar name - from iOS”. I can’t figure out how to tell which are which on macOS.

Edit: sad times. I had to force refresh the Watch app just now to see an event I added hours ago on Fantastical iOS. Glad I haven’t paid a subscription for this…

1 Like

Other than the nightly backup to iCloud, nope. Backing up to the iMac requires that I switch to Catalina, which won’t be happening here anytime soon. I have a couple 32-bit peripherals I’m not willing to replace.

I need to turn in my Mac Power User badge. I have no clue what iMazing is.

1 Like

You know what’s sad, I reached out to Fantastical via Twitter, they said to email them. I e-mailed them 4 days ago about my sync issue. I eventually figured it out. I removed all the calendars from every single device, signed out of every device, re-added everything on the Mac, then re-added to my iPhone and iPad. Then it worked. All this was just to get the calendar sets to work synced over to my iPhone/iPad.

I just started looking into the Apple Watch, I probably won’t be using it on the watch. It displays all my calendars on there, there’s no way to switch by calendar set. The frustrating experience out of all this is that Flexibits has not reached out yet and it’s been 4 days. Thankfully, I am in my trial period, but if the “support team” isn’t there, do I really want to pay money at this point? (Even though the calendar set is a great feature and makes my calendar view easier to deal with and not get overwhelmed)

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s not been a great transition.

On the watch app calendar set: there is a preference for this. In Fantastical, Settings → Apple Watch → Calendar Set.

1 Like

I suppose you could always restore the entire phone from an iCloud backup with the older version, but that sounds like a real pain.

I have switched to The default calendars which I am happy with.

(399 posts on this. Seems to have stired some emotions)

1 Like

…and this is 400; wonder if this is a record for MPU?
:slight_smile: :grin:

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I should have posted a link. It is a Mac App that helps you manage your iOS devices. It is mostly a program to manage backups but it allows you to move files (Apps, Music, Photos, etc.) between your Mac and iOS device. One of the draws for a lot of people is it backs up your iMessages and give you access to them. It would in your case allow you to move the old version of Fantastical from a backup on your Mac back to your Phone.

1 Like

I can’t believe I just read 400 comments about a calendar app. I pay $5 for my Gsuite account and get a crap ton more value. So compared to that its seems severely overpriced. If it were say 2.99 or less I’d subscribe in a heartbeat because I do like the design and natural language. However none of that is “critial” for me. So its either back to stock or BusyCal most likely.

7 Likes

Hrm. Am I right in remembering that you used to be able to add invitees to events in Fantastical 2 on iOS?

Apparently this is no longer an option unless you use the newfangled Fantastical account, and you can’t get push syncing on Fantastical account-synced calendars without subscribing.