The new Logitech keyboard for 2018 iPad Pro - anyone pre-ordering?

New Logitech Slim Folio Pro (12.9”) arrived yesterday, and it works and feels great so far. The predictable caveat is that it’s… heavy compared to the apple smart keyboard.

The other caveat (surprise) is that the pencil holder was not (properly IMO) designed to charge the pencil while in the holder. So I remove the pencil to charge it, and put it in the holder for travel (which is the important part anyhow). I am surprised Logitech designed the holder so far along the latch strap that the pencil doesn’t land on the edge of the iPad for charging. Seems like someone just ‘missed’ the target. Perhaps the 10” version has a better designed strap/holder? Nevertheless, the holder nestles the pencil snug with the iPad for travel. As long as I never lose the pencil, I shall be happy.

Another surprise (bonus) is that I believe the iPad will not inadvertently press the keys (e.g., the nefarious and ghostly play key) while the folio is closed. This observation will take more time to confirm, but the ghostly voices (and my workaround with adhesive felt) may be a thing of the past.

Likewise, the corners holding the iPad in are actually rubber, so I think they will last a long time (and not become brittle and break over years, like previous version).

And the keyboard is strong as before. The (single) keyboard viewing angle seems fine. The bluetooth works a charm so far (fingers crossed). The charging was quick (first one). And the lit keys are… lit.

Overall, Logitech has done a great job addressing shortcoming of the previous model, adding a few new features (pro: pencil holder, modulo: pencil charging on 12.9” model), and carrying forward a solid design with higher quality. So far, I am very pleased with the new Logitech keyboard.

Mine has finally arrived (I ended up having to cancel with Amazon UK - they pulled the “wait until the published shipping date than extend it for weeks” thing - ordered from the Apple site who had it in stock by that point) and I am very pleased. The keyboard action itself is imho vastly superior to the Smart Keyboard, I’m using it on my lap right now and it’s spot on.

There’s no doubting that it’s bulkier than the Apple offering but for me that’s not an issue - the bag it travels in has the space.

I see what the poster above means about the slignment of the pencil when you slide it inside the loop on the, err, loop but I think it’s because it needs the clearance to be flipped over into place. I think you can kind of jiggle it so that it’s in contact, but I’ve not tested it, and tbh I suspect I’ll not slide the pencil through that inner loop - just leave it parked on the edge of the iPad and flip the magnetic tab over the top. The bag I usually use is in landscape (I don’t use a backpack - I’m not 13 any more…) so I don’t envisage get pencil getting loose.

Anyway, for my needs, it’s a great buy - very pleased.

What would make it better? Smart connector. Ability to be detached and use iPad in portrait. But nothing can do everything well, and I’m happy.

One nice ‘feature’ of the Logitech (bluetooth based) keyboard. I just discovered (sounds obvious) that, when I take the keyboard out of the case to place in (e.g.) an iPad stand (for ergonomics), if you keep the keyboard cover/bracket latched to the keyboard (i.e., standing up, even though there’s no iPad in it), then you can still use the keyboard with the iPad.

This could not happen with the Apple (or any) case which relies on the keyboard connector of the iPad and does not use Bluetooth. The Logitech keyboard works just fine as a Bluetooth keyboard as long as you are willing to leave the case magnetically latched, so the keyboard ‘knows’ the iPad is active.

Very happy with this increasingly practical case (slight bulk notwithstanding).

Hadn’t thought of trying that - neat!