The Official "Show Time" Apple Event Thread

I’d pay $10/mo for a news service that allows me and my husband to read all the currently paywalled good stuff: NYT, WSJ, Bloomberg, Harvard Business Review, Forbes, LA Times, Billboard, etc… It bugs me to click on a link and then get awkwardly stuck as often happens today.

I have a sub to the WA Post (grew up in DC so I’m addicted). I would convert those dollars to Apple, which I’m sure isn’t what the Post wants to hear.

Video: probably wouldn’t pay for a sub. I buy nothing today — no cable, no Hulu, no local TV. I would like the option of trying out some of the cool things I’ve heard about, like Amazing Stories, so I’m hoping there is a free tier for folks like me.

I happily pay for Apple Music and listen to at least an hour of music a day.

Aren’t close to that with the iPhone Upgrade Program?

The stumbling block is the amount of refurbishing they’d have to do on high-turnover devices.

I’ve heard rumors that the Washington Post and NYT declined to be a part of the service, but the WSJ is included. Take that with a grain of salt, of-course. We’ll know for sure in a couple of hours.

1 Like

I really don’t know what to expect. I’m definitely in on the upcoming Disney streaming service (Star Wars!), but reserving judgment for Apple.

2 Likes

Cutting the cord these days is as expensive or more than traditional cable providers. It comes down to channel customization.

1 Like

I think that depends on how much TV you watch. We’ve saved a bunch of money. I don’t subscribe to a lot.

1 Like

Viele grüße Lars! You are right it is just switching cords. I enjoy my AcornTV, Hulu, & PBS too much to completely cut the cord. I’m also addicted to Jeopardy. If I can find a bundle that fits my needs I would be all on it. But it would have to allow me to cut the “cable” cord.

Maybe* the Macintosh TV is making a comeback!

* it is not

3 Likes

Whoa. 1970s/1980s throwback theme to the intro video

1 Like

With the Six Colors Apple logo.

1 Like

Good reminder of how dependent I am on the Apple ecosystem!

Family pack for all would be nice…

I wonder what happens to my existing Texture subscription?

“Apple News+”

Interesting choice to use “+” branding. Long history going all the way back to the Apple II+.

News stands have been dead for a while, not sure about this

News stands are mostly seen in airports these days. I’m interested in how I can download given how much I travel…and then they answer that question. Auto downloads! Nice!

So far, they are making a distinction between “magazines” and “newspapers.” I’m not seeing any newspapers in News+, 20 minutes into the Keynote.

I loved the opening video!

Is the guy presenting magazines wearing a onesie? :thinking: Love the idea of 300+ magazines though!

3 Likes

He looks like an astronaut!

2 Likes

The white jumpsuit is a bold choice.

3 Likes