The Official "Show Time" Apple Event Thread

Gang,

Let’s use this thread for live comments on the Apple Event today. We’ve got a few hours so I’ll throw a few questions out.

1. We expect video and news services. What about a gaming service?

2. How much is it going to cost?

3. Will there be bundle? How much will that be?

4. Are you interested? Why? Why not?

5. What is it going to be named?

2 Likes

Depending on the price I might be interested in “Hardware as a service” (for iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.)

Don’t think they are ready for that…

I’m interested, especially if Apple Music & iCloud storage are a part of the bundle, along with video. If the price were right, I would personally consider ditching other services - although I don’t think that would ever fly with my family …

Bundle cost prediction: $35 a month. Names: Infinite Loop Plan, Apple One.

I think it’s likely that they’ll do a gaming service, but it’s possible that won’t get announced today. That’s the sort of thing that could be a WWDC announcement because of the developer angle.

I’m guessing $14.99 per month for the video service (same general price as HBO). Either $9.99 or $14.99 per month for news (Texture was $9.99 per month, the new service will reportedly have more content, like the WSJ, so they may up the price). $9.99 per month for games (totally spitballing on that one). Throw in Apple Music and they’ll have a bundle price of $39.99 per month ($29.99 if we don’t get the games service).

I may be interested. It depends a lot on how the Apple produced TV series look and which news outlets they have deals with.

I might be interested in their news service depending on their content from pay walled sites like NYT, WSJ etc. I listen to my own music collection most of the time so I only subscribe to Apple Music occasionally

Might be interested in their video. Never was a gamer.

My guess for pricing: $9.95/month for each service, small discount if bundled.

I had no use for Texture so I don’t know if anything could entice me to this new version, especially since the papers I read most (NYT, WaPo) aren’t part of the deal (and I already subscribe to one of those).

Gaming subs will undoubtedly feature (or be limited to) small developers. It could be a good deal for them and for many consumers, but it would lead to the promotion of certain types of games; outstanding short-play games with endings won’t survive (or won’t subscribe to the service) because revenue would necessarily be small compared to games that go on and on, continually garnering play-time-based revenue.

If Apple really wants to get a foothold into streaming subscription revenue they need to do more than spend billions on content (especially when other, more longstanding services outspend them 2x-5X) so they’d probably want to partially subsidize cable packages too, to get people into the ecosystem, before charging more for more products later on. Maybe they’ll throw in an AppleTV with certain tiers of subscription.

I’ve long thought that Apple should offer Mac/iOS subscriptions with AppleCare+, the same way they’ve offered with the iPhone Upgrade Program. I doubt this would be announced today, but I still think the idea of subscribing to an iPad/Pro/MacBook would be beneficial to Apple.

Pricing? Don’t know, don’t really care. None of this will probably be on my To Buy list soon.

I think there will have to be some sort of bundle as i really don’t think there will be enough content for a stand alone service from the start.

1 Like

So are we going to see clips from these shows? Trailers? They won’t really have technology per se to talk about so how will they spend the time.

Will the WSJ publisher be there?

I’m really curious about the details on this one.

I don’t think we will see anything about gaming today, but I hope we do. I really want the market to move on from the dominant model of f2p mobile games.

Celebrity appearance predictions:

• Oprah
  • JJ Abrams
  • Reese Witherspoon
  • Steve Carrell (will be in some sort of video sketch)

Crazy prediction: Miyamoto will take the stage once again to talk about the games service and Nintendo’s involvement. Name: Apple Play.

If there’s a service bundle, I’m predicting they’ll call it Apple Core. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I hope they offer some kind of a tiered approach. I would rather pay one amount to get the most content be it video, music, magazine, etc. I’d rather pay a “premium” all bundle. That would be easier to manage instead of having Texture, iTunes family, etc.

1 Like

This nomenclature was suggested by Moren and Friedman years ago to MACWORLD, as discussed on their podcast last week.

http://www.reboundcast.com/episode/230

Not really interested in a gaming service.
Would love a service for Apple TV to help cut the cord. A bundled service where you can pick and chose what you want, including stations such as ABC, CBS, etc. (most of these apps are only available if you already have some sort of cable/satellite service). So maybe a tiered service priced accordingly. Price wise… hmm… I think top tier I would be willing to pay 59.00, or perhaps more if it helped to cut the cord. Maybe a basic subscription service for 19.99.
News service eh! I already get quite a bit with my RSS feeds and subscribe to certain papers and mags. But might consider if it is a good bundle package.

I expect a limited geographical availability - at least at launch. It took Netflix around two years to go from 40 countries to 150 countries. Also, Apple is slow in opening up video to various countries (there are still EU countries where they don’t sell movies).
“Apple Play” will thus move at “Apple Pay” speeds internationally :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi @Cathyvon and welcome to the forum!

I’m paying around 10EUR / month for getting access to a lot of US and EU magazines so, Apple’s news bundle should be priced around this sum in order for me to switch.

1 Like

I often find myself preferring to read articles in Pocket. Haven’t opened the Texture app in months in part because it’s one extra thing. My dad though uses Texture a lot.

Also, apparently Apple is already working with a company called Applecore. https://twitter.com/danielpunkass/status/1110160396915261440

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a full TV package for cordcutters. All of the broadcast channels, along with ESPN, CNN, Bravo, etc and options for premium channels like HBO and Showtime. Leaving this here for future props :slight_smile:

I don’t get this “cut the cord” thing. IMHO it’s just “change the cord”.

I have “cut the cord” years ago. No cable, but also no Netflix or other video streming services and/or stations.

1 Like