“These Apple users don’t know any better.” Samsung Fans Are Thoroughly Unimpressed

I don’t know how good Samsung devices are, I’ve never held one. If you have ever owned or currently own a Samsung phone, what are your thoughts? Do Samsung users have a point?

With just a few months of sales, the iPhone Duo is projected to nearly match Samsung’s annual volume in the growing U.S. foldable market this year, then capture a majority in 2027, according to Counterpoint forecasts.

2 Likes

Not sure really what you’re asking here.

Apple is never the first one to release products, but when they do, they (most of the time) get it right and set the gold standard for which other products are measured. Also the hole I am buried in aka apple ecosystem is getting deeper and deeper. My iPhone 15 Pro, Air Pods Pro 3, iPad Air M3, Apple Watch Series 7, and Mac Mini M2 Pro work so beautifully together.

It brings me so much joy to use these products.

4 Likes

Not quite sure either

I’ve had a couple of Samsungs. Generally they have great hardware, and the screens are the best around. Software wise its chuck-it-at-the-wall territory. Loads of interesting features that look good in the shop, but many of them are badly implemented and don’t work as well as they sound.

Apple is the opposite software-wise, rarely first to release something, but they stick the landing when they do.

The said, with my last Samsung, the device had a faulty part that meant it kept overheating. They looked into it and said it was a factory defect, however because there was a crack in the corner of the glass back, they said the warranty was void and refused to fix or replace it. This was 6 months after purchase, so I refuse to buy Samsung again.

2 Likes

I second this post. Their phones were/are pretty nice, but the software is bonkers. My experience as a former Android user was…

Google Devices: Great software, goofy hardware
Samsung Devices: Great hardware, goofy software
Moto X: My fave old Android phone… I miss it!

Oh, and shouts out Windows Phone while I’m here! Windows Phone actually ruled and I wish it took off.

2 Likes

I used to engage in platform wars but now I think they’re silly. If Apple wants me to do marketing for them, I am happy to begin salary negotiations.

A business associate told me this week that he thinks Android phones are far better on AI and have better cameras than iPhones. I believed him and thought for a microsecond about switching, but then decided that iPhones are good enough for me so why bother?

2 Likes

IMO, they kinda do. Samsung ripped off the original iPhone, but smartphone makers have been steal . . . borrowing ideas from each other ever since. For example Google introduced a full-width camera bar with the Pixel 6. Then last year Apple, and Sony, added a camera bar.

images

So do I. The truth is Apple, Samsung, and Google Need Each Other

1 Like

I love a Marques Brownlee video. Thanks!

1 Like

I reject the idea that Company A copying Company B is ripping anyone off. Originality is overrated. Incremental upgrades and outright knockoffs are how marketplaces work.

1 Like

Apple thought different.

1 Like

I agree where you were on Microsoft for work, I Liked it a lot.

I’ve been shown the latest Samsung folding phone by a colleague who had an earlier one and ditched it because it kept breaking. It looks pretty good. He seems impressed by Apple’s software and said he expects Apple’s will be better engineered, too.

For me, it comes down to one thing — Apple knows (for the most part) how to make stuff look nice, and that matters to me. If you like nice-looking stuff, go look at an Android status bar and you’ll run away screaming.

1 Like

I have occasionally purchased Android phones to test out as “MacSparky.” People tell me that I need to keep my hands in both platforms so I can talk intelligently, but every time I do, I hit nothing but friction. There are nice features on those phones, but they don’t work with everything else that I use. I think in this case, you pick a platform and you go with the best hardware that makes sense for you on that platform.

5 Likes

This has not been my experience. I switched from a 16 plus after OS26 which was a disaster for me. I now use a Pixel 10 pro xl that was way cheaper than the iphone 16 plus and IMO far superior. After over a decade on iPhone I now would not move back.

2 Likes

In general, this whole argument is a waste. Each side has pros and cons like so many other things. If everyone liked the identical thing it would be pretty boring. If IPhone works for someone or Samsung works better for someone, so be it.

1 Like

There are two main reasons to use iPhones instead of Samsung or Pixel Android phones:

  1. The ecosystem. If you use a Mac, an iPad, an iPhone, an Apple Watch, and/or AirPods, everything works together beautifully. My Mac, for a power user, towers over Windows, and my iPad Pro M4 nano is the best device I’ve ever used, so I use an iPhone.

  2. iPhones look and feel nice and cohesive, especially the apps. including by 3rd parties. Apps are better developed on iOS then on Android. iOS is more polished and less janky.

Otherwise, Samsung and Pixel phones have been more advanced and overall better, at least for my use, than iPhones. Notifications on iOS are absurd compared to Android. Widgets on Android are interactive, you can scroll and interact with them. Dictation on Android learns from user corrections. It’s been this way for almost 10 years. Apple can’t figure any of that out. I could go on––file and system access, customizable launchers (everything is customizable, really), etc.

But I’m still happy with my iPhone, now 18 PM. As Apple says, it just works.

I’ve been tempted to do the same thing. But I stayed with the iPhone because it’s popularity means many/most major android apps are also available on iOS. So I can use those as well as others that are iOS only.

I dumped Siri for Google Assistant a couple of years ago, and now am using Siri AI, and Gemini, with files synced between Google Drive and iCloud. Neither platform holds all the cards. IMO.


Liquid Glass was a disaster that I tolerated on my iPhone and iPad, but not on my Mac. I’m glad I waited for macOS 27.

1 Like