Thinking about building a Markdown editor for macOS and iOS

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your thoughts here!

The link to Nota’s website didn’t work for some reason, so here’s a second attempt for others’ convenience:

Just tried Nota. My initial thought is that it makes for a great EagleFiler companion if your workflow is markdown based (at least until EF becomes more cozy with markdown).

What is still missing in the broad field of markdown editors from my point of view is an editor with functions for academic writing. Zettlr partially addresses this area, but is primarily focused on the Zettelkasten functionality. Otherwise one can build an environment with support for cite-to-write, table of contents, cover pages and bibliographies with Obsidian, VS Code, Sublimetext or Atom with appropriate plugins and Pandoc – but a solution with the simplicity of MS Word with Zotero/Citavi/Mendeley plugin (write, export as .docx/.pdf, done) or latex editors with BibTex support does not exist. Texpad is working on full Markdown support, but so far it lacks citation support and as far as I know also table of contents with page numbers.

A native Markdown editor for Mac and iOS with support for cover page creation, table of contents with page numbers, cite-to-write, bibliographies and integrated Word and PDF export would fill a glaring gap in my opinion - but is probably a pretty ambitious project :wink:

2 Likes

what you need is to get the functionality of obsidian in an app like Bear. ahhh now that is a dream app

Hey! Welcome to the forum and thanks for the feedback! It’s really just to scratch my own itch, FWIW. I’d sell it rather than open source it on the off chance it’s moderately successful in any way.

By the way, I really like what you’re up to with Nota. It’s a very good electron app, and I’ve enjoyed using it. I can tell you actually care about doing a good job with it, and I just wanted to say thanks for your hard work!

2 Likes

Markdown appeals because it is simple and perfectly readable without any formatting. So to me, there is nothing wrong with EagleFiler showing me the plain text and only the plain text. (Plain text is what we like, right?)

I’m bucking the trend, I know, but we already have a nearly endless choice in Markdown editors. When I want a more polished presentation, I simply double click an EagleFiler plain text document and my Markdown editor of choice springs to life with formatted headlines, bold and italic text, etc. I don’t see why another Markdown editor/viewer would ever need to be embedded in EagleFiler. —End of rant. :slightly_smiling_face:

From a user perspective, EF already supports that with RTF documents, why not with markdown? I know (from the engineering perspective) there is native macOS RTF support in action, so implementing an RTF editor/viewer must be almost trivial compared to implementing even a half-assed markdown editor (the awesome DEVONthink took its time to implement it, and they keep refining it but it clearly shows that this is not a simple task)

In fact, this is a strong point for Eaglefiler, the plain folder approach allows for these kinds of “collaboration” between different apps just using the filesystem.

Oh, and I believe Eaglefiler merits its own MPU thread, but I digress :wink:

Thanks! I can assure you it’s a lot of fun to build such an app. Especially when you are working on a clean slate.

About Nota, I’ve read what you’ve written down and we know about these things and most of the things are on our roadmap. Built-in daily notes, then sorting in the sidebar, and then relative attachments. The feedback was useful. If you ever have more, you can shoot us an email.

2 Likes

I’ve got more, but most of them are related to Markdown syntax implementation thoughts. Happy to send you an email

Yeah, do that. Sorry for the delayed answer. I didn’t set up email notifications. Thanks!

@snelly ever make any progress on this or did you find another app you like?

Never had enough time to pursue it, to be honest, and just settled into a mix of Obsidian and iA Writer, depending on the task, with the same library. Sorry if I let you or anyone else down.

What’s that saying? We can do anything, but we can’t do everything.

Was as curious what you picked!
I wish obsidian had an editor only to use with Devonthink to go. I don’t think $50 is worth it for iOS ia writer since it doesn’t seem to have the realtime wysiwyg like obsidian style editor.

I too am on a quest for a markdown editor…but I know I can’t build it!

Most of the time, I actually prefer seeing the markup like in iA, but I know that’s not to everybody’s taste.

I still think if Ulysses had bidirectional linking, it would be the best option for most people. (And I would probably switch.)

I want bear panda editor to be released for mobile (was using TestFlight and it’s pulled), so I probably have a few years before the bear group releases anything. Mac has some good options like typora and mark text but mobile is limited (bear and obsidian have great editors but don’t work with native files to work with devonthink to go). I’m using one markdown for now which is ok…

You might like Runestone (mentioned in this thread while in development), it supports Markdown, works with individual files and is lightweight.

1 Like

Thanks have tried that. Looking for the wysiwyg real time editor style app which runestone doesn’t appear to have on iOS.

Have you used the external folder feature in Ulysses? Could this potentially give you the best of what you are looking for?

Have not tried this. I didn’t think Ulysses could see a devonthink to go folder on mobile?

I doubt it. I responded to @snelly’s comment: “I prefer seeing the markup like in iA, but I know that’s not to everybody’s taste.” With the external folder option in Ulysses, he can access those files from within Ulysses and with iA Writer.