Third party Twitter clients are down. Does anyone care?

This approach was used originally by the Fenix app (Android) quite some years ago untile they had proper app-client based authentication. Basically each user presented itself as a new “client app” with their private/public keys, it’s only that they are all using the same software. I’m not really sure this would circumvent Twitter strategy, as if this was the case all the rest of the clients would be easily resuscitated by the devs. Or perhaps that would lead to stronger API monetization tactics by Twitter.

Oh, man. The fact that you invoked the race card with the reference to “white men”and basically saying that our viewpoint is racist is well — never mind. Enough said.

2 Likes

Just for the record, FWIW, as a white man on this forum, “we should be freely able to discuss things” is exactly what I mean if I indicate that “all viewpoints should be allowed”. I think it’s possible to legitimately disagree on many things, and the discussion is important.

But if somebody is threatening to physically harm somebody else, I think it should go without saying that the offender needs to be booted off the platform and reported to the police.

It doesn’t have to be “all or nothing”.

2 Likes

you can use any word and spring doesn’t have to be included - I used name://
Still working for me too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Someone has posted a step-by-step guide to setting this up in Spring.

1 Like

iOS and macOS are separate purchases for Spring?

I’m not sure it’s worth spending more than €25 with the risk of being able to use it for only a few days…

(Of course if you already bought Spring before this drama, this is a great feature)

I’m not going to bother trying to get a Twitter client to work somehow. Twitter doesn’t want them on the platform, so it’s probably going to be a cat-and-mouse game. And no app developer will invest more time in such apps sooner or later.

Instead, I’m now on Mastodon (I’ve been using the service on a low flame since 2018) and still follow some Twitter users like Tim Cook on a read-only basis via NetNewsWire’s Twitter extension.

3 Likes

Ooops.

Thanks I got it working.

The best Twitter app lives on for now.

Having not really read Twitter for over a week I have suddenly realised I really do not care what a developer (or their cat/dog/gerbil ) had for breakfast, listens to or their personal, and used to be private voting habits.I think I am well rid of it.

2 Likes

And Mastadon isn’t any better and has way more concerning stuff on making it an 18+ platform. I’m not convinced that Mastadon is a good replacement.

I know everyone is screaming, “no censorship”, but that could well end up being worse. There’s already a lot of polarisation around Mastadon servers.

1 Like

There’s polarization anywhere there are people. I’m new to the platform but AFAIK we can choose to engage in the conversation or block it.

2 Likes

Actually I prefer this forum!

Social media has lost its appeal for me. It’s a whole load of blah blah blah which in 10 years time will still be blah blah blah. Perhaps my age is making me question the actual value of social media. In the last number of years it certainly hasn’t been positive.

2 Likes

So do I. I used Twitter as a news feed and I’m using Mastodon the same way. The only posts I made were for software, etc. support. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Is this still working?

Given the discount on Mona for Spring users I’m actually considering the purchase of Spring…

Yes - still working (for the moment)

1 Like

I really miss twitter. My lists (local, sports, politics, scotus, finance, comedy) had a lot of value for me. Mastodon has not been a successful replacement.

But the twitter website and app are SO BAD with lists. I bought one “low key” third party app already, but it was shut down after a few days. I’m afraid the same thing will happen if I try again.

2 Likes

Fwiw, Spring is still getting Testflight updates, albeit no guarantee how long that will last.

I miss Twitter too. But I hate the 1st party twitter client, and refuse to support the way that Elon Musk is treating both the Twitter employees and the platform (including the 3rd party developers)

2 Likes

I log in via the web about three times a month to check for DMs. AFAIC twitter is dead.

1 Like