Third party Twitter clients are down. Does anyone care?

The developer of Spring has just pushed a major v5 update to the app store, inc support for long tweets.

However… if Twitter actually implements deprecation of the old API, then it appears Spring will stop working at the end of April, which would be v sad.

Weird: I’m running the TestFlight version, which is still v4… (guess I’ll switch to the App Store version)

EDIT: build number of App Store version is indeed higher than the TestFlight version.

I asked the author on Mastodon earlier today (I don’t post on Twitter anymore - only reading there), but no reply yet.

I asked the author on Mastodon earlier today (I don’t post on Twitter anymore - only reading there), but no reply yet.

Thanks for checking with him - please let us know if he replies.

Spring is such a wonderful & delightful app, and (IMO) by far the best of all the third party clients. I hope this isn’t the end of the road for it.

As expected, Feedly Pro+ won’t be an alternative either:

So Twitter is fully dead by the end of this month? :cry:

(I don’t expect Spring to continue to work as is and I’m not going to pay $100/month to be a “hobbyist”…)

This thread keeps reminding me how much I miss the Twitterrific app on my iPhone and Mac. These days I’m reduced to using the Twitter web interface on both iPhone and Mac. (The official Twitter iPhone app in my opinion does not integrate well with the world wide web.) :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I’ve been using NetNewsWire since Tweetbot expired, and sadly as of today it too is no longer functional.

2 Likes

Spring on iPhone can still access Twitter, but on iPad no more? :cry:

Spring stopped working on my iPhone today :cry:

The author replied to me to try turning off the "Twitter Connectivity Tests” in Advanced Settings.

For me that helped! Spring works again on my iPad! (For now?)

2 Likes

Stopped working on the Mac yesterday too, switching off the connectivity tests worked.
iOS version has worked continually for me :slight_smile:

Currently getting a 403 (forbidden) plus a message that I (Spring for Twitter) have only limited Twitter API access. I see more people complaining about this today.

Does this also happen for people that user their own API key, instead of Spring’s default one?

Yeah - mine stopped working, came back again and a couple of hours ago stopped again.

There’s a new Spring TestFlight beta with a different sign in method (which does not support accounts with 2FA enabled…).

Did anyone try this? With what result?

A few people tweeted that their Twitter account got suspended the moment they tried to log in using this beta… (and I understand why that could happen)

I tried it with a freshly created account and that seemed to work fine, but I’m rather hesitant to use it with my real accounts.

I am using the Spring Beta and it’s working fine for now.

Did you (re)enable 2FA after logging in?

No. I have 2FA switched off.

Already getting “403 forbidden” with that new account in the beta… :cry:

I think the party is done.

it may be time to move on from Spring.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve now installed the official twitter app. Sadly.
I won’t be installing the abomination that is the reddit app though, can’t work with that!

2 Likes