This May Convince me to Purchase the Ultra

I’d love my current all black Apple Watch to be replaced by an all-black Ultra 2 this Xmas.

But in most business contexts any colour is acceptable nowadays.

2 Likes

After the release of the AW Ultra, I haven’t thought about it until now. It’s interesting how differently people respond. I find it the most un-Apple thing they’ve released in a long time and Johnny Ive certainly didn’t have a hand in it. But it’s all subjective and beauty is in the eye of the bolder.

I always found it too thick and I already have a problem with the AW catching on clothes when trying to put on some shirts or sweaters. I also hated how the crown and button protruded from the side, but they seem to have fixed that in this rumoured update.

But why orange? Orange doesn’t even look good on an :tangerine:.

The better battery is tempting though, and if Apple decides to use the Ultra as the testing ground for, say, health advancements like a blood pressure monitor, I’d have no choice but to switch!

Just today I was out for a bike ride at lunch and decided to get a chocolate milk from Caseys. Only thing I had on me was my watch (no wallet, no iPhone), and I knew that was fine because Apple Pay works great. I was able to enjoy my end of ride chocolate milk.

Directions when driving, walking, or biking pretty much anywhere, glancing at the weather, fitness tracking, MFA codes for my bank, medication logging and reminders… I find all sorts of uses for my watch. In the end, it’s a very small computer… the value you get out of it is in how you decide to use it.

1 Like

So the value from what I see many mentioning is not being tethered to the iphone. This would indicate that the real value in the AW is actually in the cellular version with a separate network connection?

1 Like

These days, I don’t notice someone’s apple watch (or android equivalent) unless the band is outlandish and catches my attention or the watchface catches my eye. I’m a judicial officer and I see them in Court frequently, nicely paired with whatever the person is wearing. I also see the one’s i mentioned which stand out.

1 Like

I must be thinking old school. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I leave the home for outdoor runs with the watch and AirPods. So Cellular connectivity is necessary for me. But if your phone and watch will be in reach through WiFi at all times, then you don’t need cellular version.

The real value in an Apple Watch seems to come with people who have use cases for it that indicate they’d value the device (i.e. some sort of notification thing they like, or if they’re into fitness — which is me! — they will find value there.)

My AW is cellular so I can leave the house for runs without my phone. I love that. But the value of the device for me is the fitness tracking, not the “out without a phone” thing.

I use my iPad about once every two weeks. I can’t really use it for the specifics of my job, so I tend to pick it up when I need to do something I can only do on an iPad. It doesn’t happen often. But that doesn’t mean the device hasn’t hold huge value for other people. I’m not sure I see your disconnect here.

If you don’t like it, by all means, don’t wear one and share that it holds limited or no value for you. But I don’t think anybody is going to change anybody’s mind about the utility of the device here.

1 Like

I don’t have the cellular version this time, although the next one I get most likely will be.

Don’t even hesitate! I didn’t pay much attention when they announced the Ultra - I’m a very small female and my version of an extreme sport is walking to the Apple store (about a 30-minute walk) so it didn’t seem relevant. Once I saw it, however, I realized how much nicer the larger screen would be (I’ve always had the smaller size Apple watch). I have not regretted my purchase - even though I think it looks a bit ridiculous on my small wrist, I absolutely love the Ultra.

Let me add that one is not an imposter unless one is intending to deceive, to “play a part.” Utilizing, or in this case, underutilizing a tool is not pretending. The difference is the intent, not in the use.

1 Like

“Apple Built Its Newest Watch for Real Watch Fans”

“The user can configure it to be the ultimate watch face, for hiking and orienteering, or running and diving.” Or, for that matter, just a watch face that is pleasing to look at."

I had a friend that was a member of the Explorers Club and I’m sure he wouldn’t have thought it inappropriate for you or anyone else to wear an Ultra.

To all of you commenting about my “imposter” comment, it was tongue-in-cheek. Apple has a lot of hyperbole in their marketing. I also buy Apple “Pro” products even though I’m retired and not a professional anything.

With eyesight not what it used to be, the Ultra is appealing, but I don’t know about that orange button. I wish the whole thing was black.

3 Likes

This is the single biggest thing that keeps me from looking at the Ultra. The orange makes it look cheap (to me).

Look at the bright side, we’re looking out for you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe ColorWare can whip up a custom button for you. :grinning:

1 Like

The utility of the Ultra would - for me - override two things mentioned here:

1. “It’s not meant for me” or rather who I pretend myself to be.
  2. “I don’t like the orange button”.

I can live with both of those. Of course I’d prefer the watch to be all black. I’m waiting to see what this year’s crop brings.

I wish I hadn’t clicked on that link…

Those “branded AirPods” :face_vomiting:

2 Likes