This note will self destruct in

The answer is probably no, but is there some way to delete a note on a schedule?

I made a note today to keep the proof of my sending a package that I’ll no longer need once the package delivers. I know I’ll forget about it and it’ll just live there forever in my notes. I was thinking how handy it’d be to have some notes clean themselves up after a set time period.

Go analog. How about sticking a post it note on the bathroom mirror?

1 Like

Depending on what notes app you use, you could possibly set up a Shortcut to run once a day and check all your notes for a certain tag/piece of text/etc to automatically delete. Or a cron job on macOS.

1 Like

This, of course, is the simple answer. Or maybe set a reminder to delete the note. :slightly_smiling_face: I was just looking for a way to automate it so I don’t need to think about it again.

Been using Apple Noes of late. It’s got more than what I need (present query excepted, of course).

I would think this is doable with Shortcuts, then.

1. Loop through all your notes looking for a specific piece of text (something like @autodelete=2022-10-29, maybe)
  2. Check if today’s date matches the date in the text
  3. If it does, delete the note

Then set up an automation to run the Shortcut once a day at midnight and boom, good to go!

1 Like

I’ve always done this with my task manager or reminders as it prompts me to check if the package has been delivered (which I often forget to do). I can then check off the task or reschedule if there is a delay.

I realize this is a goofy suggestion, but if this is in the Notes app, you should be able to delete and pull it from the trash in the next 30 days if you were to need it.

1 Like

In reality, I use a dry erase pen to write notes on the mirror :grinning:. Hopefully a more creative MPU will come up with a solution.

AS WITH ANYTHING THAT AUTOMATICALLY DELETES ITEMS, USE WITH CAUTION, TEST FIRST AND USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. I HAVE TEST THIS BUT I DO NOT RUN THIS, JUST TRYING TO HELP THE OP WITH A POSSIBLE SOLUTION.

Obviously, this will delete the Note whether your delivery has been made or not and whether you have checked the delivery or not…

—-

It is possible to create a Shortcut that will delete Notes on a schedule.

Remember to tightly qualify which Notes are deleted. In the example below, the Notes that I delete are in a specific folder (Delivery Receipts) and have two tags attatched (DeliveryReceipt and AutoDelete). For the Note to be deleted, all 3 of these must be true.

In the example I would schedule (Shortcut Automation on iOS/iPadOS or cron/Keyboard Maestro etc on macOS) the Shortcut to run on the 1st of each month. The Shortcut is then set up to delete any Notes that meet the folder/tag criteria up to the start of the previous month ie on 1 November, matching Notes created before 1 October would be deleted, so the last calendar month of Notes will not be touched.

I have also added a notification message that pulls the title (first line) of the Note and adds it to a notification so that the user will be presented with a list of Notes that have been deleted.

As previously mentioned, Notes will save the deleted Notes in the trash for 30 days before they are finally deleted so the deleted Notes can be recovered in this time.

The first time that this Shortcut is run, confirmation(s) will be displayed to allow the deletion of the Notes and the display of the notification. Subsequent runs should work without the confirmations.

Sample Shortcut

—-

Another option would be a semi-automatic deleting of the Notes. Leave the automation for the Shortcut below to Ask Before Running. A notification will be created that the user can ten tap to run the Shortcut. The Shortcut will then step through the Notes that meet the deletion criteria and present them to the user who can either delete or save the each Note. This way, if a delivery has not been checked, the user can save the Note until it has been.

Semi-automated Shortcut

I hope that this helps.

3 Likes

Wow. Thank you very much! I’ll give it a shot. :slight_smile: