Thoughts (again) on file organization: johnny.decimal

@webwalrus I agree; there is a limitation in the JD system by only allowing 10 categories in a given area. Further, the JD website does acknowledge that rules may need to be broken at times, eg creating a third level of folders in some cases.

This is part of why I was thinking about how I would have three digits or a letter and two digits for categories, because again while I think 10 areas is enough for me, I clearly will have some areas with more than 10 categories, as I already have folders in my current scheme with more than 10 subfolders.

If you have 50 active clients at a time, however, then I am going to guess you have more than 100 clients total, so even 3 digits is not enough. You would really have no alternative but to have, for example, an area for Work with categories 10-19, and then perhaps your folder is ā€œ11 Clientsā€, and under that you would have a folder for each client and under that subfolders for the different assets for the website of each client.

Clearly the ā€œstrictā€ JD system would not work for you.

I agree that as a folder fills with hundreds (thousands?) of files, you replace drilling down into a folder tree with scrolling. In your situation, I would tag the folder for each active client with an ā€œactiveā€ tag and use a SmartFolder to quickly access the active clients as I described above. Once I was in the ā€œ11 Clientsā€ folder faced with an array of 1000 or more client subfolders I would use the search field to quickly find the one I want.

If you have 1000 clients all represented by a folder in a Clients folder, you are going to have to scroll regardless of whether you have JD in place or not!

Thatā€™s interesting, because their short summary explicitly says thatā€™s not allowed. I find myself wishing people advocating these systems would just say what they mean. :slight_smile:

Currently I have an ā€œArchiveā€ folder where I periodically shuffle clients folders that I havenā€™t touched for an extended period of time. Thereā€™s no point in them being in the main process flow most of the time.

But in each of those folders, for example, Iā€™ll frequently have multiple sub-folders broken down by project. Even if I break the rules and allow more than 10 items in a sub-folder, itā€™s just not as simple as ā€œonly have a single-level folder for each clientā€ unless my filenames are something like:

Active Design Clients / Client 37 / 2022-11-01 - Facebook Holiday Campaign - Depositphotos 11273942.jpg

Basically Iā€™d have what would otherwise be folder labels contained in the filename. And that just doesnā€™t make sense to me, especially when it creates a ginormous folder with 10,000 files instead of several well-filed sub-folders.

I was reading a little about Johnny Decimal this weekend. I get the impression that thereā€™s a level of folder structure that heā€™s not talking about, which is the project level. That level is above the top level of Johnny Decimal.

Letā€™s say you work on the production staff of an episodic TV series like The Simpsons. Each episode has a number of required steps and reference assets. Those steps and types of assets are the same from one episode to the next. Each episode gets its own folder, and within that folder you organize all the steps and reference assets for each episode using the Johnny Decimal method.

But you canā€™t really organize the episodes themselves using Johnny Decimal because it doesnā€™t make sense and because they have been 734 episodes of The Simpsons. And thatā€™s more than 10.

Am I missing something here?

1 Like

JD himself responds: The secret level? - #2 by johnnydecimal - 13 Multiple projects - Johnny.Decimal

1 Like

I immediately thought of creative agencies as well.

ABC Corp
    22014 2022 media buys
    23111 2023 Website updates
    23147 Spring campaign
        01 Briefs
        02 Supporting material
        03 Project files
            Banners
            Copywriting
            Creative for web
            Print media
        etc. etc.

Usually with some kind of automator script to spit out the folder structure for each project. Any changes to the structure are announced in emails with all cap subject lines with a hard cutoff date.

YearClientCodeSequentialNumber is also a good structure if you can support two or three letters for the client codes (otherwise all the numbers are too hard to read.) E.g. 23ABC111

1 Like

I tried to implement this and immediately got lost.

Say 1 is Learning and 2 is Finance, I now need to remember that. If I just called the folders Learning and Finance, theyā€™re a lot easier to find because theyā€™re in some sort of order (alphabetical).

Iā€™ve found myself using the JD inspiration of large buckets with categories underneath, but the numbers make things harder to find so Iā€™ve got rid of them.

2 Likes

Now think what it would take to train 150 people to use the system.

J.D.: ā€œYou can search for things, but the results are garbage.ā€

Iā€™ve been using search for the last 15 years or so. First with Evernote, now with EagleFiler for local files, and Google for my online files. So far, so good.

And if half the claims made by Microsoft, Google, and others are correct, it is only going to get better.

To take one example from the guide:

ā€œHey Kristy, where can I find the test case for this component?ā€
ā€œForty-one dot twelve.ā€
Thanks, Kristy.

I just donā€™t think I would ever remember that a given test case for a given component is 41.12.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s easy to go overboard with JD notation and create a complicated coding scheme that nobody would use. But I have also found that for personal usage the numbers acts as a some short of mnemonic cache. If I happen to be doing my taxes I will surely remember the code and can jump to the folder right away with Raycast or something similar just by typing the prefix instead of navigating the folder hierarchy. Thatā€™s pretty useful.

For me, I donā€™t see how that could ever be easier than remembering taxes begins with ā€Tā€ whilst following the rest of the principles from JD.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s really the key, and filing systems get too complicated because they get overengineered.

This is a David Allen tip from one of the GTD books. Basically stuff for your 2015 Cadillac Escalade should be filed in the simplest category you can think of. ā€œCarā€ or ā€œVehicleā€ work well. Maybe ā€œCadillacā€. But ā€œ2015ā€ is probably going to be less likely. ā€œ2016ā€ (the year you bought the car) is even less likely. And ā€œJakeā€™s Oil Changeā€ is almost certainly not going to cross your mind when looking for vehicle records.

Just putting everything car-related in a folder called ā€œCarā€, with the stuff in there going roughly from oldest to newest front to back, makes things much, much more findable.

7 Likes

The rule of thumb is: before archiving, think of where would you look for it first in the future.

I think this is largely a YMMV situation.

I donā€™t run JD in my system, but I do have numerical prefixes in my personal file structure and it works fine. Iā€™ve been running it for several years and for folders I use regularly I know what number they are. In any case, not everyone wants their folders arranged alphabetically. Mine are arranged in order of priority/use.

Also, working for an organisation that currently has no file structure (actually worse, a file structure where each employee is implementing their own system in their own little kingdoms), I can tell you that search isnā€™t the answer itā€™s heralded to be. Sometimes you donā€™t know what youā€™re looking for, you just want to go in a folder for a project and see whatā€™s related files there are. Search canā€™t do that. (Itā€™s currently impossible in the mess Iā€™ve mentioned, which means you have to hope youā€™ve used a good keyword and that the search results are picking up anything that might be of relevanceā€¦. I know it isnā€™t!)

Building, implementing and encouraging use of a new structure is in my workplan. Of the colleagues Iā€™ve polled who have an opinion on these things (many donā€™t, hence the current mess!), most favour a numerically-led system. As I do too, thatā€™s what I will be presenting as the best system for our needs. Again, this is a YMMV situation, obviously if my colleagues all wanted alphabetised folders, or dated folders, weā€™d go with that (we are in work where dates arenā€™t relevant for top level file management).

Incidentally, I also arrange my Apple playlists numerically! All have a 0X.XX prefix then their name, where the first two numbers indicate the type of playlist it is (01-09), and the second two numbers indicate which list it is in the ā€œcollectionā€. This means that themes are nicely grouped together. E.g. all my single artist playlists are 02. All my Christmas lists are 09 so theyā€™re at the bottom out of the way. Etc.

2 Likes

Spot on!

My first job after I left school was as a filing clerk for a major oil company. This was in the days of paper filing and these huge rooms with rolling cabinets. We even had a training course for filing - one of the things I remember most vividly was the that the starting point for a filing system is to think about how you are you going to retrieve information, not how you should file it.

2 Likes

A bit late in responding!

Post Haste does exactly that and automatically builds a file structure. Designed for film it can be adapted to anything

2 Likes

On our podcast Hemispheric Views E096 we are joined by guest Johnny ā€œDecimalā€ Noble to talk about his johnnydecimal.com system.

4 Likes

I am downloading the episode ā€¦ and following the podcast because why not?

I dug deep on Johnny, decimal one weekend and tried it for a bit. I quickly decided it was not for me, but my current organizational system has elements strongly inspired by it.

1 Like

Thanks for the podcast, listening to the discussion had me consider using Johnny Decimal, but after thinking about it and reading the website, Iā€™ve decided I donā€™t need it. I have an organized system based on folders and tags. Iā€™ve been using it for years now and I rarely have trouble finding things. I do like the idea of using numbers to categorize things, it appeals to my nerd side. But if I can find things now, not sure it is worth restructuring my system.

I enjoyed the discussion about work. All that is very true, people canā€™t find anything at work. I keep my stuff organized and people sometimes comment on how I can find things, but no one is stepping up to propose a system we would all follow (including myself).

2 Likes