Thoughts on e-ink tablets?

Objectively, my eyes are less tired after reading my kindle than they are using a phone or iPad.

3 Likes

The internet, email, games, etc. are still there and easily available. Sure, you can install Freedom and block things, but when you’re jonesing for some social media, you can just delete Freedom and get your fix.

Slow Technology

The Remarkable is a different paradigm. I would go so far as to say it is a part of the Slow Technology movement. That is, tech that promotes slowing down and having a think.

3 Likes

As much as I was intrigued by the idea of a Remarkable, given a choice between using it and a codex (printed) book, paper and pencils or a really good pen, I’d go analog.

2 Likes

Sure, but with this argument, you can use your e-Ink only somewhere in the Forest, with no Cell-Antennas and Houses in the vicinity, and wearing no cloth, or only such, without any Pockets… :thinking:

And BTW, you can get a browser also onto a Remarkable, so you can’t use this ,too , with your argumentation.

1 Like

Not without hacking it.

There’s a difference between a Remarkable and an iPad.

We aren’t getting anywhere convincing each other. It works great for me, and I presume you have an iPad, so all’s good.

2 Likes

Funnily enough, I avoid those books with the weird edges (the ones that don’t make a solid paper block - like deckle) for that exact reason - too much hassle to turn the page. The book, quite literally, isn’t “fast enough”. :wink:

This. And the issue of lighting - there’s definitely a difference to at least my eyes between a backlit screen and a “flat” screen. Even the Kindle uses front lighting instead of back lighting, and it makes a difference comfort-wise.

For those people who find the benefit of not having the extra stuff on-device, the issue isn’t that the other stuff isn’t available somewhere in their home - it’s that there’s just enough friction to getting to it that it’s less likely to happen.

3 Likes

Also, the context switch between devices can be helpful. I read mostly on my phone nowadays but in the past I’ve found having a device solely for reading helps with mentally disconnecting. And I’m not at the point where I can pick up another iPad for a single purpose :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have had a reMarkable 2 since it was first introduced – because I pre-ordered it almost a year before it was release I’m lucky to have been granted lifetime access to the full version of Connect, which I find essential to using the reMarkable.

I like everything about the reMarkable, but should point out to anyone considering buying one that the screen is never as bright as the way the screens appear in their videos and web pages. The real screen is gray and a bit washed out. The ads make it look like the screen is brighter – it is not. eInk does not have a backlight, so if you use reMarkable in a room without bright ambient light it can sometimes be a challenge to view.

Katie

1 Like

Here’s a demo of one of the reasons I prefer the Remarkable over paper. Also a photo comparing its screen to a book. In themes for editors, etc. I’m picky, and prefer more contrast than, say, Solarized, but have no problem with the Remarkable - hadn’t even thought about it really.

In addition to being able to insert text where it belongs, you can also add, delete, and rearrange pages. This is a great advantage, and much better than those (in my opinion) clumsy disc notebooks, or a 3-ring binder, etc. (Incidentally, E. Bryant Crutchfield, the inventor of the Trapper Keeper died recently)

2 Likes

I recently got a 13.3 fujistsu quaderno and I love it. It is really a pleasure to be able to read in such large and fantastic display. However, it is not for everyone.
If you read PDFs and scientific literature, it is fantastic. It can sync with a folder on the mac, you can get your articles/books in and highlight/annotate them easily and then sync back. Taking notes on it is feels great and IMHO it is definitively better than the ipad. The writing process feel more physical.

If you are considering buying one there are a few things to consider:
Not all e-notes give you the same writing feeling. The boox to me feel like using a gel pen, while the fujitsu feel more like using a pencil, so if that part interest you, better to check it out.
The weight is important. My fujitsu is 350 grams while the smaller (A5) boox air 2 of a friend feel heavier and if you use it for reading it can be bothersome.
Some e-note have android and you can do tons of things. That’s great but it is not practical. It is possible to write email on it, but I would never do it. I would prefer taking my mac or my phone, it is just faster.
If you do not need a large device, I would checkout also the supernote, which have great note-taking functions! I needed a 13 inch, if not I would have bought that one for myself

5 Likes

To save others a search:

Looks nice. Expensive, of course.

2 Likes

To save others a click:
$550 for the A5
$780 for the A4

A5 is 5.8” x 8.3” in American
A4 is 8.3” x 11.7” in American

See how A4 is twice the size of A5? Why can’t we have nice things?

5 Likes

Readwise reader works on the Boox device and is fine. However, the app does not do page turns, you have to scroll. There is a thread in the readwise discord about it. With scrolling, you need to use the faster refresh rate, which isn’t as crisp, and you can’t use a hardware page turn device (case or remote), which I find somewhat annoying.

1 Like

Page turns will be a game changer for using Readwise on Boox devices. The founder mentioned in that thread that it is on their roadmap.

1 Like

It is cheaper to import it directly from japan. They sell both a4 and a5 from amazon jp . Myself I bought it using zenmarket since amazon could not deliver in france. It is still pricey, but not as much

3 Likes

I’ve been writing a lot lately on my 11” iPad with an Apple Pencil and that continues to stick with me. The “unitasker” electronics things has never really been much of a selling point for me. I am able to turn all my apple multitasker devices into unitasker devices pretty easily. But I’m also not easily called to the siren-song of social media.

2 Likes

I also would not be called to the siren-song of social media, under normal circumstances, but unfortunately there is a weird Sirene somewhere from the vicinity of Anaheim, calling too loud to ignore… :thinking: :cry:

Update to reMarkable features and the connect service.

Everything that happens on the paper tablet, comes with the paper tablet. Integrating with Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive, converting handwritten notes into text, sending your notes by email, and presenting your ideas on the big screen — it’s all included when you buy a reMarkable.

With a Connect subscription, your notes will always be stored safely in the reMarkable cloud and instantly accessible from your other smart devices in our apps.

Also includes the protection program, e.g. like AppleCare.
Price lowered to US$2.99/mo

p.s. We all know that some of you don’t like subscriptions, etc., etc. No need to rehash that topic here.

More info and upcoming features:

5 Likes

This is all good news! The desktop connectivity will make a big difference for me.

2 Likes

Just happened upon it on their website. Seems they would have sent an email. Perhaps they did and I missed/haven’t seen it yet.

I submitted a suggestion that we be able to use our own templates. Feel free to do likewise if you’re of the same mind, then that will potentially be twice as many people :slight_smile:

2 Likes