I downloaded StrongBox to give it a test. I actually really liked its UI. However, I found that it pretty much just stores logins/passwords, but does not have the capability to store things like licenses, credit cards, etc. Unless of course I missed something.
I do have a lot of that kind of information in 1Password, so I am still searching for something that provides similar functionality. Not yet ready to make a switch…
Both Bitwarden & Proton Pass have the ability to store credit cards & ID information. Bitwarden also allows for scanned attachments ie. for ID docs, but Proton Pass does not at this point in time.
Yes you missed stuff. I store all of those things in Strongbox. Some a
re attachments and others are the various types of categories of stuff Strongbox supports
Here’s a small sample but not all of the various categories I store in Strongbox.
Is there any advantage to using both? You can export 1Password content (some of it) to Apple Password. Does this make your life easier in anyway? More reliable autofilling of password demanding sites?
I use 1Password for more than just logging into sites. So I will be keeping it. But sometimes the autofilling of simple passwords seems to not work well and I wonder if I had both available with the log-in passwords whether things might work better. Or is it likely to be worse?
One advantage of using both a third-party password manager and Apple Passwords is that if you lose access to one through breakage or lockout you have a fallback. The disadvantage, at least theoretically, is that you double your attack surface and risk of a breach, though reputable password managers seem pretty sturdy.
I used both for a couple of years. I found it was confusing and kind of a mess; too many dialogs opening when I wanted to fill in a password.
I’ve found it more uncomplicated and easier to use Passwords. My very subjective impression is that Passwords does better autofilling passwords than 1P.
I have a 1Password subscription until January, but I’ve uninstalled it from all of my devices except one while I discover if there are any passwords in 1P that I didn’t transfer to Passwords. I did the whole transfer process this summer and went through all of my 1P passwords, but keep it around just in case I missed something. I plan to let my 1P subscription lapse.
I also tried to use both 1Password and Apple Passwords for a bit and similarly found it confusing with all the popups. It also bothered me that I would have to do so much maintenance to keep both sets of passwords in sync.
I’m reconsidering my use of 1Password. I do store other information in there, but I realized that I never use most of it. Sure, I had my driver’s license, bank accounts, email accounts, and passport details saved, along with a membership card, but I have literally never needed that information in a situation where 1Password would have made it easier than, say, an Apple Note. Similarly with my software licenses, although I will probably move those into a spreadsheet. I stored some health records but eventually found the interface too restrictive for what I wanted, and I moved them elsewhere.
I do use my credit cards in 1Password quite a bit, so I’m testing the waters of what my workflow would be like if that were to change.
Truthfully, my biggest hangup with ditching 1Password is the inertia. I’ve been using it since 2011. I have a fond attachment to it. The idea of jumping ship is a little painful–but then again, I had a similar attachment to Things 3, moved my entire workflow to Reminders, and I haven’t regretted it at all.
There will need to be some household retraining if I make the switch, but given how my better half “uses” 1Password, tighter integration with macOS is potentially worth the growing pains of adopting a different system.
I haven’t used Passwords, only Keychain, but one of the reasons I chose 1Password years ago was the the length of the password protecting my data. The passwords in my Keychain were protected by my Mac’s login password or my iOS/iPadOS passcode.
My 1PW data is protected by a password I have chosen plus an additional 34 character secret key.
In the past year or so Apple has made several changes to improve the security of iPads and iPhones which should greatly reduce the problem for users that choose to implement all of them.