Three Biscuit Guides by Professional British Writer

We made oatmeal raison cookies today. Very yummy! :slight_smile:

Plain chocolate digestive - don’t come near me with your effete milk chocolate knock-offs

1 Like

Malted milk. Dipped in tea…but only a short dip. It’s stability index is low :joy:

1 Like

Chocolate digestive. Although for dunking in tea, a Hobnob. They can hold their own.

Brits take the definition of a biscuit very seriously: See Jaffa cakes: United Biscuits (LON/91/0160) vs Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise:

William Gallagher’s videos are very helpful - very well presented.

2 Likes

I love this place. Come for tech tips and find a discussion about biscuits :joy:

For the record, as an American with UK friends, I’ve been converted to “flats” - (biscuits with a bit of jam and clotted cream when I can get them). Otherwise it’s a chocolate digestive or two with my afternoon builders.

3 Likes

I find it very hard to choose. In Thailand the choice is greatly limited, but we’ve been enjoying Ikea’s offerings, with the cinnamon thins and their oar biscuits being very good.
My favourite these days has to be a dark chocolate digestive, though rich tea are an easy go-to.

I don’t think I have time to watch the videos, but the biscuit discussion is good…

2 Likes

One or two I thought were just about palatable if you dipped them quickly in tea first. The Chocolate Digestive and maybe chocolate chip UK (rock hard) style, I would eat again if socially necessary.
There is not one though that I truly miss and most I am glad to never have to face again, certainly nothing I would want to take up valuable baggage space. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dark Chocolate Hobnobs (https://www.amazon.com/McVities-Dark-Chocolate-Nobs-300g/dp/B000VJF5YG). Best biscuit ever.

1 Like

Fantastic link. The issue here is that they don’t want to put VAT (purchase tax) on nutritious food but they do put it on “unnecessary” confectionery. For some reason cake ends up on the zero VAT side and biscuits end up on the standard VAT side. I’m just wondering what the politicians involved were dunking in their tea when they came up with all this.

Another thought: do US companies try to sell their so-called “biscuits” in the UK? That would add to the confusion as they probably count as “food” and deserve to be zero VAT but have “biscuit” in their name.