Throwing Good Money after Bad?

I’m back from the Apple Store. Short version, the repair only involved a reset of a $10 cable, which is no longer made. That is the good news. The bad news is that two of the battery cells were swollen, meaning that within a very short time (not counting the potential hazard) her laptop would no longer hold any charge, requiring it to be always plugged in. Given that and its age, I bought her a new computer.

She is now the proud owner of a M2 MacBook Air, in Midnight. I’ll admit, it is a beautiful machine. I’m now transferring everything from the old laptop to the new one.

They really should offer the MacBook Pro in Midnight–I really like this color!

Thanks everyone for the always helpful and thoughtful advice–much appreciated!

13 Likes

I’m surprised you only went with the 8gb of memory given how long you wish to keep the laptop. Is there a reason behind this?

1 Like

She doesn’t need 16GB, she only does basic web stuff (Ancestry.com), Facebook, online banking, shopping and email, etc. Nothing more so I think this will be fine. She can always close a few browser tabs. :slight_smile:

Another vote for a swollen battery. But even if the battery is replaced, the plate is likely warped, so you’ll still have issues.

Replace it.

Yes, I did as per above. :slightly_smiling_face:

The midnight Mac looks great. But, having mentioned a puppy, you really should show it to us.

7 Likes

the 2015 MBP was loved by many who did NOT like the later year keyboards.

But other things to consider is replacing an old hard drive and old battery - maybe better to get something new?

Well since you ask :wink:

She is a Cavapoo, a designer cross breed between a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a toy poodle. She is nine weeks old

10 Likes

Cute!
But is she having an Eyeproblem?

No, she has dark red under her eyes–reflects her Cavalier parent and she has some tear stains before a bath. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is a bit blurry because I took a screenshot of a slow-mo video of her fetching the ball but this is a more actuate picture of her face.

7 Likes

Why didn’t you go with the 256GB storage option and save yourself some money? Just curious…

8GB of RAM is more than enough memory for the average user.

Because my wife has a habit of saving most things directly to the hard drive (local) rather than in iCloud. Bottom line, I wanted to make sure that for the next five years she has plenty of storage.

1 Like

Ah, okay. Maybe she should consider saving more of her stuff to iCloud then.

I’ll let you try and convince her! :joy:

3 Likes

On second thought, I think I’m good… :kissing: :notes:

:joy:

20 characters ………

Tear stains are typical for toy poodles too. She’s adorable!

5 Likes

She is and is extremely lovable, she never leaves my side except when I place her in the crate (I always crate train my dogs). This morning before church, she kept begging me at my chair in my study to pick her up. Who could refuse? :slightly_smiling_face: She is a lap dog when I let her, which can be a problem when I’m trying to type. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would not have it any other way. Having had a Siberian Husky, German Shepherd, Lab, and a Golden Retriever, I’m happy having a little dog. I can put her in the sink and in five minutes her bath is done. :slightly_smiling_face: And, she doesn’t shed, which my wife appreciates. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Just for the future reference of others, we have a Macbook Pro of similar configuration. Six months ago I noticed it had a slight wobble sitting on the desk (swollen battery). I shipped it back to Apple, they replaced the battery AND the slightly warped case, for $200.00. Who else but Apple stands behind their product like that. It has plenty of hp for my wife’s needs and also runs Monterey. For us, well worth the investment, though, not if it was our primary machine.
Of course, it’s no match for a new M2. Best of luck with the new machine.

Thanks for that information. She’s pretty happy with her new MBAir, and with me, so it was a worthwhile investment. :wink:

1 Like