Time Machine and CCC - External Drives Connection Issue?

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if someone can

1. shed some light on this topic
  2. outline your own flow

I decided not to overburden my Synology NAS with continuous Time Machine Backups, mainly because it seems that every MacOS update has always caused some issue with doing a TM backup to Synology. All that aside.

For the last 4 months, I have experimented with the following setup.

• 4 TB Passport (sits on desk, always connected) - sole job is Time Machine daily.
  • 4 TB Passport (sits on desk, always connected) - sole job is running CCC daily.

It works great, but the only thing I noticed (that I am hoping someone can answer)

• Spotlight has become sluggish and isn’t as fast as it was prior to this setup.
  • Example, if I type into Spotlight (any item I am looking for) 1) sluggish 2) I am presented with 2 copies, the copy on my mac locally and the copy on CCC.

Does anyone have a similar setup? Anyone have the same issue? Is there something I overlooked in the settings?

Thank you!

In System Preferences under Spotlight you can have those drives excluded from searching, and indexing. Should bring the pep back to Spotlight.

6 Likes

Both replies above are good advice to address this.

I have good results with Chronosync.

Exclude the drives from spotlight and unmount the ccc drive once it is finished would indeed also be my suggestion

1 Like

Ditto. I have a similar setup – external HDs for both TM and CCC. Spotlight DOES NOT index them; only the SSD of my MBP.

1 Like

I’ve got something very similar but I have 2 external hard drives with 2 partitions eacd. Both have a Time Machine partition, one had my CCC daily BU of my machine and 1 has my CCC BU of my partition on our NAS. I also have a Time Machine BU going to the NAS as well.

I haven’t seen any major issues but I do have it set to not index the external drives.

Thank you everyone for the help. From the suggestions, I had CCC unmount automatically after it completes its daily task. I also set Spotlight to not index the externals. Macbook is feeling back to normal all over again finally.

Thank you to everyone!!

1 Like