Time Machine Assistant

PURPOSE

This macro provides Time Machine information and control.

No configurations is required as all information is retrieved from tmutil and diskutil.

I created Time Machine Assistant for myself and others that I help with Time Machine. For those of us that periodically connect an external backup drive to a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, it is important to check the status of Time Machine before disconnecting the external drive.

Also, in some cases, it’s nice to run Time Machine immediately before disconnecting the drive.

IMPLEMENTATION NOTE

This macro includes an Execute an AppleScript that contains the script the reports and controls Time Machine. Since all of the macro logic is contained in this script, it can be run like any other AppleScript. I use FastScripts 3 because it provides some nice AppleScript-related enhancements.

[ continued on Keyboard Maestro forum ]

If one is looking for a Time Machine “assistant,” I can highly recommend TimeMachineEditor, a simple but capable, free or donation-supported, utility app for scheduling and controlling Time Machine backups.

2 Likes

Hi, @karlnyhus. Thanks for mentioning TimeMachineEditor. I’ve used that also.

I created Time Machine Assistant for myself and many others that I help with Time Machine. For those of us that periodically connect an external backup drive to a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, it is important to check the status of Time Machine before disconnecting the external drive.

Also, in some cases, it’s nice to run Time Machine immediately before disconnecting the drive.

Time Machine Assistant streamlines these workflows.