Time Machine - Trapped File?

hey MPU,

I am having an issue with Time Machine suddenly for the past week. Can’t figure out how to resolve this.

It says unable to complete back up… it references a folder that I can’t find anywhere in my Library, I go to the Library, but the folder doesn’t exist…

Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Work Folder Name/Work File.extension

After much thinking and searching…I found the file name in an iCloud Folder shared with a friend of mine. It’s his folder and his file (from a permission perspective). So the file matches, but not the Library location.

In reviewing the files on my iCloud and comparing everyone’s folders that I share with that are owned by someone else. Everyone’s folders and files look normal, except “John Doe”, his folder/files that he shared with me has a little lock icon? in front of everything.

Is this what’s causing Time Machine to hiccup? how to resolve?

I nuked Sonoma and went back to Ventura and I can’t remember all the details, but I think you may be looking for a hidden file/folder. Apple changed the Mobile Documents folder in Sonoma and I was unable to find it using Finder even after I displayed hidden files and folders. I did find it in Terminal.

This article touches on the subject and might help point you in the right direction.

1 Like

If you’re running Sonoma, perhaps this article (or the links in it) may point you toward a solution:

1 Like