Time to rethink USB hub solutions - thoughts?

I’ve added peripherals, external drives, and hubs on an as-needed basis over the years. It’s become a bit of a hodgepodge, and since I’m at my expansion limit it seems, I’d like to find a current gen solution.

TMI, feel free to skip ahead -

I’m running an M1 16" MBP on Ventura. All cable-attached peripherals and external drives go through a USB C to USB A cable into an Anker 7 port USB3 hub, which has a Anker 4 port USB3 hub daisy chained. That’s one port on the MBP. The other two are often occupied with an iPhone and iPad, which leaves me swapping cables in and out when I need a spot for a thumb drive or portable SSD. This does happen frequently due to my particular workflow. Plus, I am now maxed out as far as peripherals go. I actually have a few more that I wouldn’t mind having connected all the time. Most everything is hidden out of sight, so disconnecting and reconnecting requires a trip under the workstation with a flashlight. Another issue is that certain external SSDs get the dreaded “not ejected properly” after sleep when attached through my hubs - they don’t when attached to the MBP directly. I assume this is also part of my frankensteiney system.

For a peripheral junkie who is looking to also add an external monitor, my research is so far coming up short and/or rabbit-holed, and I’m looking to see if anyone else has a more detachable (one or two cable) solution for an M1 MBP.

Thanks!
Drewski

PS - budget is a consideration, so a “dumping all external drives for a Thunderbay” etc. is not an option. I’m keeping the JBOD for now.

Coolgear 12 Port Industrial USB 3.2 Gen 1 Hub w/Port Status LEDs

Cable Matters Type-C USB 3.1 Type B Cable (USB-C / USB C USB B 3.0)

Can mount under your desk.

main website for the USB hubs category: USB HUBS Archives - Coolgear

1 Like

I’ve found a higher quality SSD (Samsung T7) in my case exhibits the “ejected improperly” behaviour far less often than my older cheaper SSD used to, even though it’s connected through a cheap USB hub.

Thunderbolt is the ultimate (expensive) answer.

Have you considered buying a high-quality used Thunderbolt 3 dock on eBay? E.g.

1 Like

Similar to you, I was looking long and hard for a good USBC hub but end up with a Plugable TB4 dock instead and Transcent JetDrive as my storage solution.

I when with a dock instead of a USBC hub mostly is due to the looks. Is cleaner and I work from home a lots. I appreciated the dock approach more.

For the JetDrive, I debated between the ACASIS TB4 external storage and JetDrive. I end up with JetDrive with the understanding of the significant reduction in speed but I figure if I had to plug and unplug each time I take out my MBP, I will not utilize it as much. JetDrive is the more convenient approach.

1 Like