I’m still using a mid-2012 Macbook Pro (bought it used, upgraded it over time) and it’s been fine for years. Lately it’s been more sluggish, it won’t run Big Sur, and I’ve started doing video editing projects using Premiere Pro. Like most of us here, I run a lot of CPU and memory-intensive apps. I’ve reformatted and reinstalled the OS many times over the years, so I can do that again but I’m thinking I’ll get diminishing returns.
- Looking for a replacement, doesn’t need to be another laptop.
- Hoping to keep the price tag minimized but get the same or better performance as the old model.
- Looking at the iMac and Mac Mini.
- Wondering how my current stats compare to the latest (as of Nov. 23) lineup – could I potentially get similar performance (or better) from a new Mac Mini to my current (old) MBP? - Having a hard time comparing the specs because of the new chip architecture.
What I have:
- CPU: 2.6 GHz Quad-Core i7
- RAM: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
- Storage: 512 GB SSD HD
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
Hard to compare apples to apples (no pun intended) between Intel motherboards and the new M1 specs. Suggestions/advice?
Put another way, even if not for the new chips and architecture, would today’s Mac Mini destroy my old MBP in a benchmark test?