Time tracker quest

thanks a lot, much appreciated :smiley:

I’m a little late to the thread, but Toggl has a decent desktop app and if you’re okay with an iOS client you can use Timery to start timers with Shortcuts and Siri.

For those interested, I’ve started the posting about how I do time tracking in Drafts:

https://www.ciaranconnelly.com/

2 Likes

And here’s the final summary post, complete with a link to download all the actions I use:

https://www.ciaranconnelly.com/2020/02/14/time-tracking-with.html

2 Likes

Wow! I shall look forward to exploring this as MYOB is not supporting Catalina.

I assume when you have a csv in Excel, you then do some formatting.? If so, could you point me to some resource on how to automate that please?

I do a few different things with the .csv.

One of the included Drafts actions processes it and gives you a time summary for the current and prior year, month, week, and day. Separately, I write a copy of the .csv to OneDrive, where you can have MicrosoftBI use it as source data for dynamically updated charts. The nice thing is you can do whatever you want with a .csv since it’s just basic text.

Thanks. I shall have a closer look.

Sadly development auf Tyme 2 stopped a while ago. Sadly, now Tyme 3 is released and it has gone the too expensive subscription route ($36/year).

Often requested features in Tyme 2, such as URL-schemes or Shortcuts integration have been intentionally held back from Tyme 2 for a long time and now are only available to Tyme 3 users, which there don’t seem to be many, to be honest, according to app reviews and the non-existent Twitter interaction. Dead on arrival.

Again a mistake was made: Single users should pay the same amount as team users (small businesses, startups). A team user can’t make any use of the team dashboard feature or reporting. Those are features that would justify a small monthly fee per user. If Tyme 3 would have been a cross-platform one-time purchase of 36€ (no subscription), I would have paid. This way I’m out and not looking back.

Why am I posting this here? Don’t make the mistake to download and buy Tyme 2, if you want support.

I have been using Timing (timingapp.com) for years and love it. The application automatically tracks your application use down to the document or website level and automatically (based on a set of behaviors that I can configure) assigns time to various projects so all I need to do is review and revise at the end of the day. Timing is on Setapp, and I believe sold as a fixed price software with a year of updates included.