Touch ID - Anyone else having trouble?

For several months Touch ID has not worked properly on my two Macs - M1 Max Mac Studio and M1 Max MacBook Pro 14". Both are updated to the latest macOS Sonoma version 14.2.1.

After enabling Touch ID and adding multiple “copies” of my right index finger, Touch ID will work for a while … until it doesn’t. The problem occurs with Apple software (macOS login, Keychain passwords, etc.) and 3rd party software (e.g., 1Password).

Has anyone else experienced problems with Touch ID in Macs?

Multiple sessions with Apple Care support, including senior support reps, over several months were helpful to run problem-solving steps to restore Touch ID temporarily. These included macOS updates, re-installing macOS, disabling Touch ID, re-boot in safe mode, re-enable and re-enter fingerprints. After a few days the problem inevitably reappeared on both computers. Usually the Touch ID “fingerprint” icon is present and “jiggles” when the touchpad is touched, but the Touch ID attempts are rejected.

After multiple extended troubleshooting sessions with Apple Technical Support, my Apple Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (and Touch ID) was replaced by Apple. After pairing with the Mac Studio computer and enabling Touch ID with the new keyboard, Touch ID worked for a few days … until it didn’t. This is the same behavior as before.

Software installed on both computers is limited, especially the MacBook Pro. In fact, the MacBook Pro was recently sent in to Apple to check for possible battery discharge issues. The MacBook was completely erased, fresh version of macOS Sonoma installed and set up as a “new” computer. The software installed on the macBook Pro is minimal. The only significant 3rd party apps currently running on the MacBook Pro are Dropbox, 1Password, Proton Pass and Setapp with two or three apps.

In a related vein, macOS login and 1Password continued to unlock/login with Apple Watch. Recently even the Apple Watch login/unlock intermittently fails, sometimes with the message “Touch ID unavailable”.

A Senior Support rep at Apple has indicated that the next step would be to completely erase the SDDs of both Macs, reinstall macOS and set up the computers from scratch. I am reluctant to do this because of the time and hassle involved re-installing apps, plus the MacBook Pro has recently undergone this erase/reinstall macOS procedure.

Any thoughts?

Don’t take this wrong, but have you attempted configuring and using Touch ID with a different human, other than you?

Katie

3 Likes

Thank you - Excellent thought! Useful to try as a troubleshooting or trouble isolating step.

Not particularly useful as a solution, though. This would defeat the whole purpose of Touch ID. :grinning:

( Edited to add: To try this would be a non-trivial task. Based on previous experience, the fix might work initially, then fail after a few days. A proper trial with an alternate-human operator would mean that my wife would need to come to my computer several times a day for several days to test the proposed solution. I can assure you that this is not likely to happen. :smile: :grin: :rofl:)

So the choice is new keyboard or new wife then? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does Touch ID work on other, non-Mac devices for you (a Touch ID iPad or iPhone)? This is another way of getting at the “is it you?” question that @KVZ raised.

Any changes in environmental conditions (temperature or humidity) or the condition of your fingers (wetter, dryer, etc.). For me, Touch ID is basically useless for four months of the year. I work as a whitewater rafting guide during the summer, so my fingers are constantly getting wet, then drying out, again and again and again. I’ve also found Touch ID degrades when I spent time in cold climates, which tends to dry my skin out.

3 Likes

Yes, a dilemma.

As previously indicated, the keyboard replacement was tried and failed.

A wife-replacement would also be a non-trivial task, unlikely to succeed. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes, Touch ID on my old iPhone 6s and my old iPad Pro 9.7" worked well several years ago.

Thank you for mentioning this, you may be on to something here. Now that it is winter my home environment is cooler and drier compared to a few months ago. I noticed that occasionally I could get Touch ID to work if I breathed repeatedly on my finger tip prior to using the Touch ID pad.

I plan to repeat the Touch ID setup after heating/moistening my finger tip, then re-try Touch ID for a few days with a properly-prepped finger tip.

This test should be less trouble than erasing the Mac’s SSD and setting up the Mac as new. And certainly less trouble than obtaining a new wife or “alternate human” as previously suggested. :grinning:

I’ve not had much luck trying to momentarily moisten a finger for Touch ID. I’ve basically resigned myself to spending four months either relying on Watch unlock or typing my password in like an animal.

What I wouldn’t give for FaceID on the Mac and iPad Mini.

2 Likes

I find that my touch ID on my iPhone 7 becomes essentially useless during the winter months. I can reset the thumbprint, only to have it go out again about three days later.

My hands are just too dry, and the resulting cracks along the surface of the skin play havoc.

Perhaps this is your problem as well, as others have noted.

JJW

6 Likes

I’m continually surprised that touch ID works at all. I’ve never gotten it to work for me on anything. As Chris mentioned your environment can affect the ability of it to work. When I spin yarn a lot my fingerprints rub off. I’m notoriously hard to fingerprint under the best of circumstances but during working time, lambing or if I’ve been spinning its impossible. I’ve needed fingerprints done often for background checks and I have many failed versions where they can’t get a good compete set.

I just assume it’s not going to work so I’ve don’t even try to set it up anymore.

2 Likes

It’s been working inconsistently on my M1 MacBook Pro. It’s never worked well for me on my iPad Pro 10.5, which doesn’t have Face ID.

I hate touch ID. It also makes it more difficult to use a third-party keyboard. If the next Apple Studio Display (or whatever is coming up) doesn’t have Face ID, I’m not buying it.

1 Like

My 96-year-old father has never been able to rely on Touch ID and just gave up many years ago. I look at his beat-up hands and barely see anything that could be called a fingerprint.

1 Like

And probably very expensive. :rofl:

1 Like

When I was working the Genius Bar, TouchID related issues would always increase during colder months in my experience. Fingers dry out and will shrink slightly. This was the main culprit in most cases. We also found that use of lotions or some cleaners (ie: Purell, etc) also had a negative effect.

TouchID works by creating a mathematical equation of a fingerprint. Not the actually fingerprint itself. We would always suggest using multiple fingers to diagnosis TouchID problems. My personal favorite was explaining why the “Middle Finger” was the best choice next to the Thumb. It is a larger area than the Index finger and perhaps could bring some humor to the situation!

Thumbs are great for iPhones and iPads. Index fingers are typically used for keyboards. Apple designed TouchID to store up to 10 different fingers/digits.

I would second the idea of using someone else’s finger as a test. Calling your wife to you and your computer should be stated with “I need you for 2 reasons… to gaze upon your face and for you to lend me your finger.” I think it might go better than you originally thought.

3 Likes

When I used to use an iPhone 6S, I could never get any of my fingerprints to “stick” for Touch ID for more than a few days. I had the same problem with my M1 MacBook Pro, so I didn’t persevere with that feature, but use my Apple Watch to wake it up.

I have the same issue recently. I then restart my Mac and it’s back.

It has always worked fine for me, but has never worked (on any device) for my wife. So it does seem to depend on one’s fingers.

It appears that Touch ID is inherently unreliable, at least for some people. I will waste no more time trying to troubleshoot the Touch ID problem and instead will use my Apple Watch to unlock the Mac Studio.

Thanks to all who replied.

The only thing that makes Touch ID more or less reliable for me is O’Keefe’s Working Hands hand paste, especially in the winter.

I’ll never understand the people who don’t like Face ID. It’s much more reliable and (if Apple can be believed) secure.

1 Like

If they were going to impose a notch in the middle of the menu bar on MacBooks, the least they could have done is add Face ID to it

1 Like