Trustworthy YouTube to audio file converter recommendations?

My relative is in need of a non–malware converter from YouTube to an audio file. Not for a copyrighted song of course. This seems like an area where a Google search leads to all kinds of sketchy websites and applications. Trusted recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CLI tool youtube-dl works really well for this.

Syntax is:
youtube-dl -x --audio-format mp3 url
For just a regular video:
youtube-dl url

Need to install with homebrew as:
brew install youtube-dl

Here's the abbreviated man page

youtube-dl

Download videos from YouTube and other websites.

- Download a video or playlist:
    youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

- Download the audio from a video and convert it to an MP3:
    youtube-dl -x --audio-format mp3 url

- Download video(s) as MP4 files with custom filenames:
    youtube-dl --format mp4 --output "%(title) by %(uploader) on %(upload_date) in %(playlist).%(ext)" url

- Download a video and save its description, metadata, annotations, subtitles, and thumbnail:
    youtube-dl --write-description --write-info-json --write-annotations --write-sub --write-thumbnail url

- From a playlist, download all "Let's Play" videos that aren't marked "NSFW" or age-restricted for 7 year-olds:
    youtube-dl --match-title "let's play" --age-limit 7 --reject-title "nsfw" playlist_url
2 Likes

Thanks, I’m sure it’s easy for those who understand Homebrew and the Terminal, but I’m the geek of the family and I’m not sure I could figure it out for myself (having never used Homebrew), much less the non-geek family members. Wish these tools had a user-friendly UI. Maybe I need to search out a Homebrew for newbies set of instructions.

Curl works fine to install; Homebrew not needed. See the youtube-dl download page.

I’ve used the free version of 4K Video Downloader in the past and found it worked well. Despite its name, it can download lower res video as well as audio.

I currently use Downie, which is a slick app that has a built-in Safari Extension. It isn’t free, however. It’s currently $19.99 USD for a license and included in Setapp.

2 Likes

This works a treat:

If they have SetApp, there is one on there.

This is fantastic! Just found homebrew today.

1 Like