Turning on/off auto-updates in Mac App Store

I have Fantastical 2 installed. I don’t want to upgrade to Fantastical 3 (subscription) at this stage.

To my surprise, I bought this version in the App Store.

Now I get a message every day asking me to quit the running app so it can auto-update.

There are instructions in Apple support and elsewhere about how to turn off auto-updating. However, all of the ones I have found require all auto-updates to be on or off.

Does anyone know if it is possible and, if so, how to turn off auto-updates for just one app - Fantastical?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

1 Like

Not aware of any way to do this, and I’m fairly sure there isn’t one.

Apple designed the system assuming that everyone would always want the latest version, which makes a certain amount of sense, but this is obviously a scenario that they did not seem to anticipate.

You used to get a notification for each update, with the option to install or not - but Apple got boatloads of complaints from people irritated by a constant (seemingly, at least) stream of update messages, each of which required action. Don’t remember exactly when it changed - about IOS 7, I think

Thanks for getting back to me.

I guess I shall have to see how long it takes me to get so annoyed by the daily messages to upgrade that I delete the whole up.

I upgraded by mistake even though I purchased it off their Web site. If you have Time Machine backups, you can restore ver 2 from there.

If you use the mobile app, things are trickier. You need to already have the signed .ipa file downloaded and then use an app like iMazing to restore it to you iDevice.

Flexibits handled this upgrade very badly, unlike Omnifocus who made it a separate download. They pushed v3 as an update to v2, but it isn’t, it’s an upgrade.

#fantastical2gate