Two Apple IDs, for two different countries - access movies purchased in the new country

I used to live in the UK and had a fairly extensive library of purchased movies in iTunes, over 300.

Moved to Australia over three years ago and created a new Apple ID for Australia, then started purchasing movies and TV Shows through this ID. Now have over 280 movies.

I can watch the movies, by switching between Apple IDs on my Apple TV and/or MacBook. But to be honest, it is a pain in the @$$!

Not least, because remembering which account the movie is on can be a challenge at times - I’m in my 60’s :grinning:

Does anybody know if it is possible to transfer all my UK bought iTunes movies to my Australian iTunes account? That would be the ideal solution, although I expect that Apple licensing terms with the studios is going to make that difficult.

Failing that any recommendations for an app to catalogue my collection? Tried My Movies 2 Pro, but find the UI a bit clunky. Like Movie Explorer Pro, but it appears to only be able to import the Apple TV Library from one account.

I spent 2 years in the UK over 10 years ago. I moved my US account to the UK and then back to the US when I came back. Anything I purchased in the UK interval is still playable. I know this isn’t helpful in your situation, but for others who move internationally, it may be better to just switch your account to the country you are living in, if things work the same way nowadays.
At the time to use the iTunes store, I needed all 3 of: a UK address; a credit or debit card from a UK bank; and that card to also be addressed in the UK. I was not allowed to use my US bank card with UK address for the UK iTunes store. I was not allowed to use my UK bank card until I had switched the address to the UK. I found this unreasonable - if you go into a bookstore in the UK and try to pay with a credit card, they don’t care which country it’s addressed in.

Would it be possible to sign in to one account, import its library, and add them to a list for that account? Then, sign into your other account, make another list, and import its library into that second list?

Does family sharing allow you to invite an Apple ID from another country?

Then just share the purchases from the old account to the new ‘master’ account.

Would it be possible to sign in to one account, import its library, and add them to a list for that account? Then, sign into your other account, make another list, and import its library into that second list?

That is what I have ended up doing, although I had to create an additional user on my MacBook Pro using my ‘old’ UK Apple ID. I then imported my UK Apple TV Library, whilst logged in to that account.

Upon switching back to my ‘normal’ account I can now update that account when needed, as my UK account will never change. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good to hear you got it working!