Typora is out of beta

Typora is finally out of beta so we can pay the developers for the hard work they’ve put into it. I sent them something back in June, but this makes it official.

Typora has set the standard for live preview of markdown, and is the app other editors are comparing themselves with.

Typora’s interface is very clean, and gets out of your way so you can think and write.

Since it uses Markdown, which has become the lingua franca for notes, Typora can be used to edit notes that you manage with other apps, e.g. Obsidian, DEVONthink, etc.

6 Likes

Paid for the upgrade after it updated, as I’ve been using it a while and it’s my default markdown editor on my Mac. The ease between preview and default Markdown is really handy and occasionally use it to edit some Obsidian notes (often ones with tables, where the Obsidian advanced table editor fails the specific table - though have realised as I type this, I have a specific markdown table editor for that installed I should use!)

3 Likes

Yeah, TableFlip is awesome.

Exactly! Something I do in other realms too. The thing companies compare their product to is usually the thing you want. Some exceptions, of course.

2 Likes

Typora vs Marked2? Your thoughts & thank you!

I like their tagline, “What you see is what you mean” – better than WYSIWYG.

It is a nice phrase but it predates Typora by quite a bit.

1 Like

Wow - their website isn’t mobile friendly. At all. Which is funny as I’m scrolling and seeing the “accessibility” header. :slight_smile:

That said, I’ve been waiting for this release. Thanks for the pointer!

1 Like

Marked 2 is not an editor, it’s a utility to display, with various styles, and export content produced by other apps. It should play well with files edited in Typora. AFAIK, Typora is not yet supporting Marked’s “Streaming Preview” mode, which works side-by-side with an editor app, such as Drafts, to display, for output, the document currently open in that editor. Nice mates.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification! Greatly Appreciated!

1 Like

I hated Typora when I tried it — several times — in beta, but I tried it again and I liked it. It I’ve been using it for hours daily this past week.

I’m used to WISYWIG editors like Word, and I’m used to Markdown editors that use syntax highlighting, like Byword, Ulysses, Bear, or — until recently — Obsidian. But for some reason my brain had difficulty with the idea of a WYSIWIG Markdown editor.

3 Likes

If you’re like me and can’t pay right now…

But fair warning: you get what you pay for :wink:

1 Like

Late to the party, but I’ve just tried Typora as part of a move to storing everything in plain text/markdown in the filesystem and attempting to unify my writing into one app.

A very impressive application. I have a regular need to write in markdown but export in a different style (mostly for presenting - so large font, colours) to PDF. The theme/css support is impressive, in particular the ability to select a different style for each export type (i.e. a Word document can be exported using a different style to a PDF or a web page). Clever.

Export is the most comprehensive I’ve seen. Image handling is also seamless, as is support for diagrams. I’m not sure I’m ready to tackle a Gantt charge in plain text, but the option is there! Relatively inexpensive too.

1 Like

It is a very good product. Good to see it is finally “public”.

Katie

1 Like

I think this is because it relies on Pandoc in the background, which is fantastic for converting amongst different formats.

I was playing over the Christmas period with a template Word document and playing with the formatting in that, and was very surprised with how well it worked - though it’s probably about to send me on a rabbit hole looking for some advanced Word formatting items!

3 Likes

Most of my peers use Word quite successfully. I do wonder if I’m overthinking things and missing the obvious solution! :grinning:

I’m a die-hard lover of plain text, but at work I gave in and used MS Word in order to fit in. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

After switching to Word earlier in the year, I’m back with Typora. Apart from Word feeling pretty clunky and bloated and having to fix formatting when I paste in content, I also had several issues with OneDrive crashing and hogging CPU, despite nothing apparently synching.

Typora is very nice. It’s like when I tidy my office - clean and a great place to work. Typora starts instantly and does everything instantly. The interface just lets me write and I can export in a range of styles and formats. I write longform text and my formatting needs are limited.

The font I write in is different to the font I read or print in - not readily possible with editors where you style the finished item as you write. Overall, a beautiful piece of software (once I got my styles sorted, of course!).

(As an aside, I tried Logseq and Obsidian as longform writing tools… it’s possible but that was a good example of bringing a hammer to a crockery repair job. Great tool, wrong job.)

It doesn’t look like they have a mobile version. Am I missing that?

Doesn’t MS Word have a “Paste and Match Style” command on the Mac? I wonder if this article is up-to-date or useful: New paste options when using keyboard shortcuts.

No, you’re not missing anything. Just for desktop.

1 Like

I have no such issues with Word. As mentioned, there is a paste and match style. The key to Word is learning styles and setting them up correctly.

I use Word because most editors just cannot produce a legal numbered list properly and many struggle to do proper headers and footers.