Ulysses 20 released

I used the new update today for some academic writing and love the new dashboard and the grammar check is really useful.

This is a case of new features that really shine, rather than features for the sake of keeping subscribers happy.

1 Like

With all due respect to Blanc’s work, I am now cringing on a regular basis (to the point where I have recently removed TSS’ feed in my reader) when I see him describe his « writing workflows ». He writes for sure and makes a living writing, but he’s writing short articles about the tech tools he uses for writing those very pieces.

Producing a thesis, a novel, a saga, an essay, these are the true tests of writing workflows. That’s where shortcomings show. I respect the work of journalists, but I don’t expect them to be able to show me efficient, long-term writing workflows - unless they have a few books under their belt. Blanc is the same and I would appreciate more humility on the part of the TSS people when they talk about « writing workflows ».

4 Likes

I haven’t read enough of his material to have an opinion as such. I will say, however, that I found the webinar to be simplistic and rather obvious. I’m sure it was helpful to some but I don’t need a webinar on how to find a place to work and to focus. I was hoping to hear information about how to effectively and efficiently use the app for complex writing. Unfortunately, I believe the webinar was a platform to sell the course. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that; they have a business and need to make a living. I was just disappointed with the overall depth of the content, which was lacking.

2 Likes

That was the obvious premise of it to begin with, I think. If anything what was unfortunate was how little they sold the course by specifically showing what it offered.

Correction: the initial rollout price is $79 instead of the ‘normal’ $99, but the time-limited webinar link (which is still active) actually brings the course down to $49.

I appreciate that Ulysses offers a new IAP trial with every major release.

3 Likes

I just figured out that I can drag the markdown panel to the right for immediate reference without even using a keyboard shortcut and it stays in place. This is not a new feature but it is “new to me.” I’m passing this along in case it is “new to you” too.

8 Likes